monday brisket and butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great Chris! I remember you mentioning something about a weld on your Gator breaking but forgot where you said it was??

Larry Wolfe said:
Looks great Chris! I remember you mentioning something about a weld on your Gator breaking but forgot where you said it was??

Thanks larry

Larry it was on the firebox. When the weld broke the door slid down leaving me unable to close since it was during the middle of a cook I could not mess with it to try and get it back into place which caused major fire control problems during the cook. When I contacted Ritch the next day I did not receive any apology what so ever. And it was only after I asked him if he would pay the bill to get it fixed did he say the I would be compensated. He also came across the this is not his problem because the warranty expired a few months ago. I do not care if the warranty is up your welds are breaking this should not happen from normal wear and tear even it the pit in 30 years old. My silver somker may have had its problems but atleast the welds never broke. I will never buy anything from gatorpit again and suggest to anybody who is the the market for a new pit to look else where.

here are few pics of the damage

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... 6qvq5&Ux=1

Chris

Cliff H. said:
Yea Chris,
What gives on the weld ?

Do I want to own a Gator Pit ?

Cliff I cannot speak for anybody else but my experience with gator has not been good. I do not see where that customer service is that everyone raves about. About a year ago when trying to get my trailer titled and tagged I ran into some problems with the state since gator did not issue a vin # or cert of origin. When I contacted gator about these problems they were able to provide me with no more information than that which was on there site. I was eventually able to get it titled through a much longer and costly process. I later contacted two other pit manufactures, Lang and Meadow Creek, both of them said they would supply their customers with a vin and cert of origin if requested. The person at Meadow Creek also went on to say if a trailer manufacturer could not provide you with these things they are not reliable. I also heard this from a number of people when I contacted the stated DMV. There were also a few minor issues in which my calls were not returned and the smoker was shipped when they said it would be. Overall the smoker has cooked fine like you would expect an offset to. Cliff I recommend to you and anybody else considering gator to stay away due to their lack of customer service.

Chris

sorry to hear about your problems Chris....you always produce great lookin Q on that pit.....good thing I bought a spicewine, of course if I have any problems Jay's only 2 hours away....

did you have to ship the smoker back to Gator??

SteerCrazy said:
sorry to hear about your problems Chris....you always produce great lookin Q on that pit.....good thing I bought a spicewine, of course if I have any problems Jay's only 2 hours away....

did you have to ship the smoker back to Gator??

No a local auto body shop was able to weld it up.

You were very smart for buying something local. If I had to do it over again I would have bought one of meadow creeks offsets. Since they are local and if there were any problems they know they'll here about them in person not over the phone or through email.

Thanks for the kind words guys,

Chris

WOW, I'd have flipped if that happend to me! If it was me I sure as hell would take it to a pro welder and have him burn a few beads on the axel brackets :!: :!: :!: I don't evan want to think what would happen if one of those broke. :shock: :shock:

I was happy how everything turned out. The butts could have been cooked longer and would have liked to have had more rest time for both the butts and briskets. It just feels great to be back bbqing again.

Here are a few of the finished pics. Sorry no brisket pics I ran out of space on the memory card.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom