Boiled Peanuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockin Rooster

Senior Cook
You can just use raw peanuts from the grocery store. I use 1/2 cup of salt per gal of water (I think), and make sure you have plenty of water. Cook them until they are done at least 2 hours. You'll know when they are done cause when you taste one it won't be bitter. It's been a while since I made any. I have thought about vending them. One more thing make sure you wash them off real well, they have a tendency to hold dirt and that can ruin a batch of peanuts. I think I'll make some this weekend.

rooster is right, just plain raw or green pnuts. i think the 2 hours is a little short, ive always done'em about 4 hours. they still have a little texture, not 100% mushy. as an added flavor, add a couple smoked hamhocks. not traditional, but ive not had any complaints. tim

In Charlotte, NC you should be able to go into any grocery store and find raw or green peanuts. North and South Carolina, and Georgia is where they are the most popular. I can't imagine you will have any difficulty finding the nuts. and like I said 2 hours would be a minimum. I kinda like takin them on to around 5 - 6 hours.

i usually find them at food lion. some of the smaller stores ive seen them there also like iga or piggly wiggly . the farmers market would be a good place as well. tim

Charlotte may be a little too urban to find green peanuts, but
if you do a little research and askin' around, you should be able
to get some. Add some cajun seasoning to em while they boil..
I can eat my weight in cajun peanuts....nobody can have just one.

I got a great Cajun recipe for boiled peanuts. I'll get out of my recipe box & post it tomorrow

Man, that is one of the things I miss! Living up here in NE Indiana, all I ever see are the dried ones and they just don't make good boiled peanuts.

allie said:
Man, that is one of the things I miss! Living up here in NE Indiana, all I ever see are the dried ones and they just don't make good boiled peanuts.
If you have a farmers market you might get lucky and find raw peanuts.

I was actually shocked last year when we went to Niagra Falls on vacation... we decided to cruise some Canadian country-side and we seen fields and fields and fields of peanuts...I had no clue it was a crop that would even grow this far North..never mind Canada!

Cajun boiled peanuts

For every 3lbs of peanuts use:
water to cover the peanuts by 4 inches,
1lb salt or Tonys
1/4 cup liquid crab boil
2 to 6 whole heads of garlic cut in 1/2
2 med onions cut in 1/2
2 lemons cut in 1/2
5 bay leaves
1 quart jar of sliced jalapenos with juice
1 cup Louisiana hot sauce
If like em fire hot add 1/4 to 1/2 cup cayenne pepper
WARNING they will be pretty Damm hot without the Cayenne,
Boil till done & let soak in the liquid till cool, Better yet refrigerate in the liquid for 24 hours. The, get even spicer as they suck up the liquid.
& yes the will be soft
Don't take my word for it, save the liquid & soak on old stiff leather shoe in it for a day. It'll fall apart. 8)
The liquid will also kill weeds, trees, & unstop drain lines :shock:

Rockin Rooster said:
allie said:
If you have a farmers market you might get lucky and find raw peanuts.

I've been wanting to get to a new farmer's market that opened about a month ago in Elkhart, IN. We've just been too darn busy for the hour and a half or so drive to it. It would probably take up most of the day looking around. lol This place is HUGE!

http://www.americancountryside.us/market/

The smaller ones around here haven't really opened for the season yet. You see a few selling handmade crafts, flowers or garden plants, and honey or other canned goods like apple butter. It's early yet for fresh produce in this area. In 9 years of living up here, I've never seen green peanuts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom