summer sausage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I was thinking and have been reading about summer sausage and everything I that I have been reading that it needs to be stuff in casing. All it is meatloaf in a bag so I was thinking could I wrap it in cling wrap and than smoke it tell it come to temp the only problem I see will be hanging it but I don’t know if it has to be hanged are not. Are can I stuff them in a bigger casing if so what size. I wanted to know what everyone thinks about this.

Thanks,
Missing Link.

No offence Link. But it kind of sounds like your trying to reinvent the wheel. (and not the BigWheel! That mold been broken for a long long time) Try it and see what happens. Ya never know. I just don't get where some folk think sausage is just ground meat stuffed in hog guts, or a bag. Lots more to it than that! :roll: ;)

No I want some summer sausage now and i don't want to wait on my suppy to come in. LOL I don't know if get time next weekend i may try one and see what happen.

Link if you roll it tight in saran wrap and then put it in the fridge overnight you can smoke it...Oompapy does it with salami..
you can't hang it....If it was me...and you don't want to mess with casings ...I would just flip the Summer Sausage 1/2 way thru the cook so it cooks evenly..just my .02
Good Luck

My thing will the boom happen are will it be just like oompappy. I made he salami and i like the way it came out i jsut cooked it to fast. I may try it this come weekend I suppy are on the way but are not due to be hear tell the 21 of june.

Well sure that saran wrap thing will work. Trick is cook it about 30 mins in the saran..then drag it out and let it cool down for about 30 mins or an hour then lose the saran and continueth to smoke or cook till it gets done 153-155 internal. That rest allows it to reabsorb some juice or thats the theory anyway. (that come from Charlie and Ruthie Knotes cookbook) I do not see any need to hang it. Try to maintain a pit temp of 180 or thereabouts and give it lots of smoke and like the man say keep it spinning so it cooks evenly. Should come out real good.

bigwheel

The Missing Link said:
I was thinking and have been reading about summer sausage and everything I that I have been reading that it needs to be stuff in casing. All it is meatloaf in a bag so I was thinking could I wrap it in cling wrap and than smoke it tell it come to temp the only problem I see will be hanging it but I don’t know if it has to be hanged are not. Are can I stuff them in a bigger casing if so what size. I wanted to know what everyone thinks about this.

Thanks,
Missing Link.

If i was to try this on the smoker and cook it tell 155. How long should i wait before in cut in to it and before i put it in the firged? how does the boom work.

Best bet be to rinse it under cool water as soon as you take it off the smoker. Let it cool way way down..then stick it in the ice box..eat it or whutever. Good summer sausage is also good sliced up and fried in a skillet. Ah man makes a killer sandwich and all goes well with the moaning aggs.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom