Reno Rib Cookoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the teams highlighted by the Food Network is the owner of The BBQ Company in Phoenix, AZ!

I have eaten there before and it was great Q!!

He said he puts prickly pear cactus jelly in his sauce!
HHMMM........
:welcm:

I'll check them out next time I get out there! Thanks for the tip. My mom lives in Scottsdale! Woody

I noticed that a lot of the teams were either grilling their ribs directly or finishing them on the grill. I really like that method. Love the combination of
smokingess with a slight crispy char on the outside.

Captain Morgan said:
or if you're cooking away from home, hit em with the weed burner! :D

Easier yet...throw some lighter fluid on them and drop a match. Crispy in no time at all. And what a nice after taste! :^o

Found this info on the reno rib cookoff website. (http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com) Thought you might find it interesting!
:eep:

Becoming A Cooker

So You Wanna Be A Cooker?
Thank you for your interest in the Rib Cook-off. The Nugget has been very fortunate to have a successful event that continues to grow each year. The Rib Cook-off is an invitational event with room for just 24 cooking teams. Most of the rib cookers have been with us from the very beginning and are asked back year after year. However, every year there is usually one or two openings due to someone having to drop out for personal or business reasons. Currently, there are no openings for the 2005 Cook-off. That could change, as someone I invite may not be able to attend. Invitations to cookers go out in early May.

There are some criteria to determine whether or not the Cook-off is for you. You must be a professional cooker with all your own equipment and be accustomed to adhering to state health department requirements. You should be able to cook at least 200-250 cases of ribs during the five-day weekend. This is not an event for the meek and recreational, this is hard work. You're up early, stay up late, keep going with a great attitude and a smile on your face even though you're dead tired. If you've never seen the Best In The West Nugget Rib Cook-off, I recommend you come out for the first time as an observer, talk to the cooks, and make sure it's something you want and can be a part of.

The entry fee last year was $2420.00. You buy your own meat from the Nugget's meat supplier, at a fair market price. A refrigerated truck is at the event site for easy distribution. Produce and other food supplies that you pre-order are delivered to your booth; pay upon delivery. We provide you carpet to protect the ground and grease and gray water removal.

Your motivation is approximately 350,000 people who come to the event to buy your ribs. Pork ribs are the focus, however, you may serve other items, as long as they are closely tied to barbecue. For instance, chicken, brisket and items such as beans, corn bread and coleslaw are fine. But please don't start going off into shrimp cocktail, shish kebab, pizza, hamburger or hot dogs. If you are accepted, you will be asked to submit a menu for approval. The idea behind this rule is to keep things rib oriented, as this is a rib event, not a food event.

We have very few other vendors: ice cream, lemonade, sippers and fried veggies. We want people to spend their allotted money on ribs. Also, the Nugget is the sole beverage distributor. We ask that you do not sell any type of beverage. Since this event is free to the public, it is the only way we can recover our costs for the free entertainment; which draws the crowds.

If you are interested in being considered as a rib cooker, send me a letter with a resume telling me about your experience as a rib cooker and photographs of your set-up, preferably at another event. Remember, you are competing against a lot of people, so tell me why you are the greatest. Make yourself look good. I'm looking for business professionals and a show. When I say "show" I mean a creative booth set-up. Most of the cookers have big banners that brag about their ribs. One cooker has a barbecue in the shape of an armadillo. Someone else has a chuck wagon. Be creative. Send your information to:

Lindsay Hahn
John Ascuaga's Nugget
1100 Nugget Avenue
Sparks, NV 89431

Woodman,

The only problem with the BBQ company is that they are only open for lunch. So if you make it there during lunch you can enjoy the Q. I think if I ever owned a BBQ joint I would like to run it that way! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom