Butt- Bone or no bone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Out of curiosity just want to know if you all prefer your butts with a bone or no bone and why.

My thinking is that the bone would help add moisture. That is just my thinking.

Opinions?? Advice?? I am open to suggestions here.

I like bone in for two nreasons. I think bones conduct the heat into the meat. And the bone is the best doneness indicator.

Sam's Club sells a pair of bone in butts in cryo for what the local grocer sells two roast for. :shock:

I also believe in the " Closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat concept" :D

Bone in, just cause I like them! As stated before the bone is a good doneness indicator.

Diva Q said:
Out of curiosity just want to know if you all prefer your butts with a bone or no bone and why.

My thinking is that the bone would help add moisture. That is just my thinking.

Opinions?? Advice?? I am open to suggestions here.

Bone in here always, thats how ya can really tell when its done when that sucker pulls out with no meat on it !!!!!!

Jeff E said:
The boneless butts have sometimes been butchered to the point where I had to tie them to keep them together.
Ditto. I once did a supermarket bone-in and Costco boneless side-by-side and compared as I pulled them. The bone-in was more consistent. The tied boneless had some dried-out places where the butcher's twine didn't quite hold everything together. I'll do either, but I prefer bone-in.

--John 8)
(The too-dry meat became a snack for the chef. :) )

Back
Top Bottom