Over Night Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Put a small a kinda funny looking brisket on last night around 11:00.

The wsm went thru the night ok. I shut all the vents down to less than 1/4. At around 3:00am the temp was up to 270 in the dome. At 4:00 am the temp was around 260.

I woke up at 6:30 to a blank Maverick. :evil:

The temps were ok. 247 in the dome and the meat at 170.

Here is a shot just after mopping with a little Wicker's

Cliff the brisket looks great.

On the Maverick, on overnighters mine will go blank sometimes too. But if I hit the light button, it will re-establish a connection with the transmitter. I don't know if that's a powersave option or what. If it continues, e-mail Maverick and see what they have to say!

Larry Wolfe said:
Cliff the brisket looks great.

On the Maverick, on overnighters mine will go blank sometimes too. But if I hit the light button, it will re-establish a connection with the transmitter. I don't know if that's a powersave option or what. If it continues, e-mail Maverick and see what they have to say!

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

I could be a range issue, Mine done it too a few times... Great lookin briskit Cliff

If every cook went perfect then I guess there would be nothing to discuss on the bbq central forum.

With that said, my brisket turned out crappy. I smoked it for 13 hours on one load of lump, three chunks of hickory and a barrel stave. I left it fat down for the entire cook.

I was trying to not foil and just mop. After 13 hours it reached 195. I gave up and wrapped it. I left it on the wsm for another hour before it passed the probe test.

The bark was inedible. It had an awful bitter taste. The rub was texjoy which is basicly salt, pepper, garlic, onion and paprika. No sugar.

Maybe I should have reached for WRB instead.

I think foling is more to my liking but the last time I did that with TXBBQ rub the bark turned to mud. I don't like that either.

More experimentation will be required.

I did end up with some good tender meat minus the bark for chopped beef sammies. ;)

Cliff H. said:
[quote="007bond-jb":3k4dkw7p]I could be a range issue, Mine done it too a few times... Great lookin briskit Cliff

I have battled the range issue already JB. My smoker is practicly right outside my window. :([/quote:3k4dkw7p]

You don't have a steel screens on your windows do ya?

ScottyDaQ said:
Cliff H. said:
[quote="007bond-jb":37r5e5w4]I could be a range issue, Mine done it too a few times... Great lookin briskit Cliff

I have battled the range issue already JB. My smoker is practicly right outside my window. :(

You don't have a steel screens on your windows do ya?[/quote:37r5e5w4]

No they are fiberglass.

Cliff H. said:
ScottyDaQ said:
[quote="Cliff H.":20qfuhlf][quote="007bond-jb":20qfuhlf]I could be a range issue, Mine done it too a few times... Great lookin briskit Cliff

I have battled the range issue already JB. My smoker is practicly right outside my window. :(

You don't have a steel screens on your windows do ya?[/quote:20qfuhlf]

No they are fiberglass.[/quote:20qfuhlf]
K, just wunderin....wireless stuff hates wire mesh/siding, etc.

Cliff H. said:
If every cook went perfect then I guess there would be nothing to discuss on the bbq central forum.

With that said, my brisket turned out crappy. I smoked it for 13 hours on one load of lump, three chunks of hickory and a barrel stave. I left it fat down for the entire cook.

I was trying to not foil and just mop. After 13 hours it reached 195. I gave up and wrapped it. I left it on the wsm for another hour before it passed the probe test.

The bark was inedible. It had an awful bitter taste. The rub was texjoy which is basicly salt, pepper, garlic, onion and paprika. No sugar.

Maybe I should have reached for WRB instead.

I think foling is more to my liking but the last time I did that with TXBBQ rub the bark turned to mud. I don't like that either.

More experimentation will be required.

I did end up with some good tender meat minus the bark for chopped beef sammies. ;)

Hey Cliff I really like the idea of you switching to WRB and YES it would have tasted better :LOL: , but I don't think the rub TexJoy was the reason the meat was bitter. Sounds like something else. Are you using the same wood you normally do?? Top vent 100%?? Was the brisket really black?? Sounds like your fire wasn't burning clean due to improper airflow or the wood was green. What kinda lump were you using??

I have a question to those who use water in the pan instead of sand ?

Do the vents have to be opend more than 1/4 to maintain temps during the cook to heat the water and the meat ?

If the bottom vents have stay opened more then it would make sense that the fire would burn cleaner, would it not ?

Cliff, I used for my rib cook yesterday...I started with really hot water in the pan and then fired up using the MM...I use a few more coals then the normal to get everything up to temp a bit quicker.

I keep the top vent 100% open and the bottom 3 vents about 1/3 open or so...usually make the adjustment at the 230* mark...temp drops back initially and then recovers back to the 255* dome temp. It has been my experience that 1/4 open or more open will give me hotter temps then I am looking for. My $0.02 :D

my .02 inorder for the WSM to draw enough O2 to burn a large piece of wood cleanly like in an offset.....the bottom vents would have to be open way to much for a nice low temp...was the wood green or wet...

Cliff H. said:
I have a question to those who use water in the pan instead of sand ?

Do the vents have to be opend more than 1/4 to maintain temps during the cook to heat the water and the meat ?

NO. Keep all vents 100% open until you get close to your target temp (I close mine bottom 3 vents by 3/4 when the dome temp hits 200*) the temps will drop a couple degrees but then will gradually rise and should settle in between 245*-260*.

If the bottom vents have stay opened more then it would make sense that the fire would burn cleaner, would it not ?

Yes, but the more they're open the hotter your pit's gonna get, so you want just enough airflow to give you a clean "burning" fire, versus nasty "smoldering" fire which equals bitter sooty food, but not too much.

wittdog said:
my .02 inorder for the WSM to draw enough O2 to burn a large piece of wood cleanly like in an offset.....the bottom vents would have to be open way to much for a nice low temp...was the wood green or wet...

I agree too about the airflow! Anything bigger than a fist sized chunk is too big for the WSM.

Where did you get the wood Cliff, cause I'm going the same direction Dave is about the green wood.

One time I got some hickory chuncks from that other store Cliff...and they were supposed to be kiln dryed but...they were green

Back
Top Bottom