a few noob butt questions.....now with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordon1

Senior Cook
gonna do a few butts for memorial day. gonna have to start them sunday though. should be done after midnight (2 am or so) which is fine cause I'm a night owl.

do to the fact that the butts will come off sunday night and not be served till monday evening should I put my finishing sauce (nice vinegar based one) on immediately after pulling or after I warm it up the next day?? also how long after pulling should I put them in the fridge?? as for warming it the next day I assume I just pop the pulled pork in the oven for a few mins to warm it?

after they come off the smoker what is the advantage of wrapping and placing in a cooler vs just letting it rest??

how much finished pork should I get from 10 pounds pre cooked??

now more noob questions regarding wood chunks. until now all I've used are chips because that is all I can get here (lowes now has hickory chunks but just got them). anyway a few weeks ago while in charlotte I hit up bbqsgalore and got a few bags of apple and cherry chunks.

I smoke on a chargriller with side firebox. I will be using a combo of royal oak lump and apple. so how much wood to use?? use it right from the start or after they have been on a bit?? or both?? how often??

yes I'm a noob ;)

I would save the sauce for after you reheat the PP...
Put them in the fridge right after they are pulled...
You need to be carefull when you reheat the PP...the smoking process renders alot of the fat out and the meat can easily dry out in and oven unless it's covered tight...you might want to add a little Apple juice for moisture....
The advantage to wrapping and putting them in a cooler is they will stay for a long time at a good temp...so if you were planning on eating at say 4 and had the butts done by 12 you would double wrap in foil and back newspapers around the butts in the cooler and the temp would stay for the 4 hrs..
If you have a food saver I would vac back the PP and reheat in the bag in simmering water for about 20min...or I would dump the PP in a crock pot with a little apple juice and reheat it that way..
As far as the yeild it depends on the temp you cook at and if you plan on foiling...expect any where between a 1/3-to 1/2 loss in yield

As for the wood that is one of the great BBQ debates..some people belive that after the smoke ring stops forming somewhere between 120*-130* the meat stops taking on smoke flavor...other believe in using wood the whole time...
I dont' know how experienced you are at using your chargriller but when cooking you are looking for a nice blue smoke out of the stack...or almost no smoke at all...white heavy smokes..not to good...and a heavy black smoke is really bad...it's a fine line between having enough air for the wood to burn clean and mantaiing a nice low and slow temp...
Good Luck....
These are my opinions and do not reflect on the BBQ Central peanut gallery in any way.... :D

thanks for the input.

dump the PP in a crock pot with a little apple juice and reheat it that way..

that sounds like the plan!

As far as the yeild it depends on the temp you cook at and if you plan on foiling...expect any where between a 1/3-to 1/2 loss in yield

try for 225 and no foil (well I didn't last time I did a butt).

one more wood question. I've heard both so y'all tell me....

soak the chunks or don't soak the chunks??

The smoke ring will stop increasing in depth above the internal temperature around 130 - 135, but the smoke never stop adding flavor, this is why it is possible to over smoke a meat, flavor wise!

If you check the internal temperature and it is above 130 then you can choose to either continue adding smoke wood or just keep going with charcoal, of course if you are burning the wood for your heat and smoke you are caught in a circle of what to do.

Preheat the wood on top of your firebox but be careful as it will catch on fire very easily after a while. What you are trying to do is get the temp of the wood up to the point of ignition and then put it on the fire. This will help avoid oversmoking the meat as the wood hits the ground running as opposed to smoldering and producing the thick smoke we all know and hate.

Lookin g ood Gordon!

Here's a tip to save Greg from yelling at you.... ;) :LOL:

On your photobucket page where you are grabbing your pics from.... first click the box beside which picture you want to use.... then go to the bottom of the page and click the "generate hotmail and image code" bar... then on the page that comes up copy the "IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended" text and paste that onto your post/message .

It will give a clickable/enlargeable thumbnail that saves Greg space/bandwidth on the forum here and makes the pics easier for people with dial up to view them.

OH... did I say NICE BUTTS???? ;) :D

Nice plan I am also doing 2 butts 13.5 lbs worth, I will start them on the WSM say around 11PM and keep em on till they reach 200-205 internal , foil em and put them in a cooler , the company wont get to the house till 230PM tomorrow . They should be done by at least 12 noon Monday.

I dont sauce mine, at home I leave that on the side for folks to use what they like.

I use hickory or oak chuncks or chips whatever I have on hand , I have a few coke bottle sized hickory limbs that are dry , I have them cut up in short pecies in case i need em.

gordon,

Looking good.

On photobucket you can select / unselect all (which copies the entire album). You can also select one or two or more pictures at a time manually right below each picture in the album it will have a box then the picture file name example (IMG_3423Small.jpg).

cleglue said:
gordon,

Looking good.

On photobucket you can select / unselect all (which copies the entire album). You can also select one or two or more pictures at a time manually right below each picture in the album it will have a box then the picture file name example (IMG_3423Small.jpg).

yep I figured it out ;) the ribs are about done. time to eat!

Back
Top Bottom