battery life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
How long do your ET-73 batteries usually last?
confused-smiley-004.gif

I've got a 6 lb chuck on the WSM, and the remote has quit on me a couple of times, not totally dead, just showing "--" where the temp should be. I used it at this same distance (maybe 40', 2 walls) the one time before that I used it (~13 hrs).

Is this likely to be a battery problem, or something else? How many cooks do y'all get out of a set of batteries?

--John 8)

Unity said:
confused-smiley-004.gif

I've got a 6 lb chuck on the WSM, and the remote has quit on me a couple of times, not totally dead, just showing "--" where the temp should be. I used it at this same distance (maybe 40', 2 walls) the one time before that I used it (~13 hrs).

Is this likely to be a battery problem, or something else? How many cooks do y'all get out of a set of batteries?

--John 8)

Most of the time the "--" means it's lost transmission for some reason. If the batteries are only 13 hrs old that shouldn't be the problem as long as they were fresh when you put them in. Other electronics such as cordless and cell phones or wireless routers could also be the cause. Try turning them both off and wait about 1 minute and then turn the transmitter on first and then the receiver. If the problem continues, try replacing the batteries in both units. If it persists after that give Maverick a call at Tel: (732) 417-9666 or e-mail help@maverickhousewares.com

Captain Morgan said:
Everytime one of them black U.N. helicopters fly over,
I lose transmission.

And I get a strange urge to kill Witt.
Damn! We're just a few miles from Dulles airport, always weird stuff flying around. :shock:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I had trouble imagining that it was batteries, 'cause the old single-probe Redi-Chek I've been using for a couple years doesn't use up batteries. (And the old one has never been good about holding signal, even when I change to new batteries.)

It just struck me as strange that the ET-73 worked without a flaw before, and didn't today. I wouldn't mind resetting it so much if it weren't for the switches being buried on the transmitter. Why do they put the on-off and TX under a cover?? and the cover under the clip for the wire stand? :evil:

--John 8)

Captain Morgan said:
I lose transmission.

Still wearing that tin foil outfit to repell the rays cappy ?

john pen said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":35jqqj90]Everytime one of them black U.N. helicopters fly over,
I lose transmission.

Still wearing that tin foil outfit to repell the rays cappy ?[/quote:35jqqj90]

yes

Unity said:
Captain Morgan said:
I lose transmission.

Damn! We're just a few miles from Dulles airport, always weird stuff flying around. :shock:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I had trouble imagining that it was batteries, 'cause the old single-probe Redi-Chek I've been using for a couple years doesn't use up batteries. (And the old one has never been good about holding signal, even when I change to new batteries.)

It just struck me as strange that the ET-73 worked without a flaw before, and didn't today. I wouldn't mind resetting it so much if it weren't for the switches being buried on the transmitter. Why do they put the on-off and TX under a cover?? and the cover under the clip for the wire stand? :evil:

--John 8)

Have you checked for black helicopters? I'd consider moving.

Unity said:
Captain Morgan said:
I lose transmission.

--John 8)

Uhhhhh.... to keep it waterproof. [smilie=a_doh.gif]

Unity said:
confused-smiley-004.gif

--John 8)

I kinda had the same problem the last time I used mine.... it was showing solid on the LED periodically....instead of showing a 2 or something, the whole LED was lit with 8's.... but I just thought it was batteries too and planned on putting new ones in it the next time I use it.....I never gave it a second thought..........no airports or funny space machines near me.

Smokey_Joe said:
Unity said:
confused-smiley-004.gif

--John 8)

I kinda had the same problem the last time I used mine.... it was showing solid on the LED periodically....instead of showing a 2 or something, the whole LED was lit with 8's.... but I just thought it was batteries too and planned on putting new ones in it the next time I use it.....I never gave it a second thought..........no airports or funny space machines near me.

That's what they want you to think.

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":10ksjqou]
Unity said:
confused-smiley-004.gif

--John 8)

That's what they want you to think.[/quote:10ksjqou]

<makingtinfoilhat>

Smokey_Joe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":a3w8xxxz][quote="Smokey_Joe":a3w8xxxz]
Unity said:
confused-smiley-004.gif

--John 8)

That's what they want you to think.[/quote:a3w8xxxz]

<makingtinfoilhat>

.[/quote:a3w8xxxz]
Please remember....and this is important.............
Make the hat in the shape of a cone...............Just moulding it to the shape of yer head does NOTHING....trust me.............I am from the government. ;)

Unity said:
Captain Morgan said:
I lose transmission.

--John 8)

I'm guessing, but.........poor design?

Man... My Maverick batteries seem to last forever! I sometimes will get up to clean the WSM the NEXT DAY after an overnighter, and realize that one of em is still on (funny how that happens), and I still use them for the next overnighter with no problem!

Gotta be a fluke ... or what the other yahoo conspiracy theorists said. :LOL:

The batteries last for a loooong time. I've got a similar remote outdoor thermometer that uses the same batteries and is on 24/7 for a year without replacement. I find sometimes I get the "--" if I'm sitting between the transmitter and the receiver.

I love my Mav. Two years. Fwo problems. Tew years. Few Problems? Too years. Foo Problems? Whatever.

There's about a google-plex worth of reasons why a cheap toy quality radio transmitter-receiver may not be reliable. I like the battery hypothesis because a) it's within your control, you can do something about it; b) when you replace the batteries you can check the battery contacts; and c) with five batteries and variable battery life and quality -- one weak cell or one intermittent contact might actually be the problem. Maybe.

Speaking of contact, the first fix I'd try would be to remove all of the batteries, exchange both receiver batteries with two transmitter batteries, and mix up the transmitter batteries before replacing them, so the batteries are in different units, or at least in a different position within the same unit.

Assault and Batteries:

Remember batteries are pretty much like light bulbs. Alhtough they may came off the same assembly line, their predicted life is no more than a projection based on a statistical evaluation of a study made with a lot of other batteries more or less like the one you'll next grasp between your own fingers. The study involves all kinds of esoteric mathematical analyses, including the oh so very appropriate "Q" that reflects the relationship between the error bar and the confidence level. And a RadioShack MultiTester, too. Confused yet?

Anyway, you might have got one weak one right out of the box ... and that could well be effecting the range or the consistency of the units' ability to "hold-hands." That having been said, Mav's don't draw much current and batteries USUALLY last about as long in a frequently used Mav as they'd last being stored without any load at all. 6 monthish.

Mav ET-73s have quality control consistency issues themselves. A lot depends on which particular underage, Chinese convict, labor-slave assembled yours, at which particular Malaysian prispon, the degree of her malnutrition, and how far advanced her pregnancy. I'm not imagining this. I'm wearing my beanie as I write.

Help much?
Rich

Oh, approach it as a problem to be solved? :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to remember not to change more than one variable at a time. ;)

--John 8)
(I generally prefer a helpless whine over a systematic plan of attack. :roll:)

Back
Top Bottom