31 dead at Virginia Tech--campus shooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in Roanoke for 19 years. My next door neighbor is a Tech alumnus. This hits very close to home.

My oldest, Eye'Q, has a lot of friends there that went to HS with her going to school there. We found out that at least three of them are NOT amoung the casualties. Still waiting to hear from some more friends. PRAYERS PLEASE!

Don't worry . NBC already is strongly promoting their coverage of "The Massacre at Va Tech". I must have heard that "tag" 15 times over the past 15 minutes. Be sure and tune in at 11........ They actually had the nerve to criticize the emergency action plan there saying it was "only 4 pages long." "Oh , can you wait a minute and stop killing people while I get out the emergency action plan?" If somebody decides to do something akin to this, you cannot prepare, or stop it. Ask the folks living in Israel. This guy was a terrorist, plain and simple.

Woodman said:
Don't worry . NBC already is strongly promoting their coverage of "The Massacre at Va Tech". I must have heard that "tag" 15 times over the past 15 minutes. Be sure and tune in at 11........ They actually had the nerve to criticize the emergency action plan there saying it was "only 4 pages long." "Oh , can you wait a minute and stop killing people while I get out the emergency action plan?" If somebody decides to do something akin to this, you cannot prepare, or stop it. Ask the folks living in Israel. This guy was a terrorist, plain and simple.

They flap their lips to sell their crap!

You can blame the anti gun crowd for this one. Making schools a gun free zone only advertises to these sick twisted freaks that it's open season on campus for anyone brazen enough to take advantage of the situation. Let law abiding citizens carry and this sick POS may have been the second victim instead of the 33. Wake up America! Our enemies are watching and taking notes!

Kloset BBQR said:
You can blame the anti gun crowd for this one. Making schools a gun free zone only advertises to these sick twisted freaks that it's open season on campus for anyone brazen enough to take advantage of the situation. Let law abiding citizens carry and this sick POS may have been the second victim instead of the 33. Wake up America! Our enemies are watching and taking notes!

Trust me, you do not want a bunch of kids running around with guns. Yes, I said KIDS! The likelihood of a student with a firearm being able to do anything would have been very slim and could have put even more people at risk if the genius did not know how to properly work the gun or use it safely under pressure.

I am praying for the victims' families and friends.

Unfortunately there is a name for people denied their constitutional rights to defend themselves. They're called victims.

And advertising schools as gun free zones only emboldens these sickos knowing that they will go unchallenged.

An armed society is a polite society.

Trust me on this one!

Matt Lauer is calling this a "National Tragedy". He then also called it "unspeakable," and now is proceeding to speak about it for the next two hours. I cannot help but wonder how the Nation would have reacted if this happened in 1900. There would probably have been a couple of paragraphs in the local paper 1-3 days after the fact, and the story would have died several days after that. I have to ask myself what people did before they had people in their homes telling them how they were supposed to "feel" about these things. People from every local news station in the country have rushed to Blacksburg to make certain that the can "become" part of the story. "The Nation morns." I cannot help but feel that they are playing on the fears of all of us who have children on college campuses across the nation. That is probably the cynic in me, but the "media" and their somber, soft talking heads sicken me in these type of situations. Already, they are questioning "why" the University did not warn, or "lockdown" after the earlier shooting. COME ON! How could they possibly predict this??????? But still, that is "The Media's" job, right??
The media will NEVER ask this question, but what occurs to me, is that this guy was able to kill ALL of these people, and NOBODY was able to stop him? Now I am not certain if ,in fact, somebody did not try, but he ended up killing himself. Where are the heros? As far as I know, this guy was not using automatic weapons. Were the guys in the classrooms content to play dead, run, or cower, while this guy shot the girls around them? A classroom of 15 people could have rushed this guy and maybe 5 might have died. Have we all been so "sensitized" by "The Media" and made so afraid, that we , as a nation, are too afraid for our own safety that we will not fight for "the greater good?"
There is a reason why we call the generation of the WWII veteran,"The Last Great Generation." I just watched "Flags of Our Fathers" last weekend. Would you, today, be willing to be in the first wave at Iwo Jima, or Normandy facing slim odds that you would survive? Would you be willing to have your child on that beach? Would you be willing to try and take out a gunman in a classroom like what happened yesterday? Would I? I don't know. Have we become so scared by the images of war, murder, and suffering to which we are exposed, that we prefer to run, or cower, or "negotiate" over taking the immediate action that needs taken?
I know that this happened quickly, and these were kids, but I have made up my mind, that if I ever am faced with this situation, or something similar in a plane, I am going after him before he comes after me.
Maybe that is because I am older, and have less to lose, but what was the average age of the guys at Iwo Jima? Sorry if I have offended.

Woody, I am A LOT younger than you and would do the same thing...I don't see how people would just stand by and watch everyone else get shot and not think to jump in and cause some disruption...easy to say I know...but that's just me.

One thing FOR SURE.......all this really takes the media heat off of Imus!

Ya'll can argue back and forth about gun control and 10,000 other topics that you think relate to this travesty just like the media is having a friggin frenzy doing.......

but the only truth in it all is.....it was a very unstable troubled human being that made the wrong decision and has wrongly taken innocent lives and impacted hundreds if not thousands of close friends and family.

At times like this people always want to BLAME something or someone...the only blame here lies on a single individual who is now gone with his victims.

I truely believe nothing...and I mean nothing could or would stop a person from doing this if that's what they decide will be what is worth dying for that day in their life. Unfortunately no laws, no regulations, no security measures....NOTHING passed or put in place will stop a future horrible event like this.

You are so right. The only person who could have prevented this is the gunman himself. He is the only one who will ever know the reasons behind these horrible events. I see that he was referred for counseling due to his creative writings. I'm sure there will be those who blame the counselors for not seeing it but in reality, how easy is it to fool those around you, including those trained professionals. I do not understand how someone can do something so awful. Like Woody, I have to wonder why no one stopped this man. Surely, someone could have done something if nothing else picked up a chair and knocked him out. Yes, I am a female but I do not believe I have it in me to play dead or hide and watch others being killed in cold blood without trying to do something.

Back
Top Bottom