Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWJR40

Senior Cook
How long and at what temp should I cook a small butt around 4lbs. What would be the best tasting wood to use for this cook?

Thanks for the information. Hickory is my first choice, but I wasnt sure.

Smoke at 225 to 250. Take the butt to about 170 then foil and take to 195. After 195 wrap in more foil and a towel and place in a dry cooler (igloo) for a minimum of an hour. Two would be better. It will pull very nice.

I agree with the hickory and I'd go 50/50 with apple wood, I think the combo is great on pork butts.

Cook them btw 2225-250 until they look like they have collapsed down onto themselves and when you can grab the bone and just about wiggle it out of the meat. I don't foil my butts, really no need to unless you're in a hurry to get done. When finished, I do wrap them in foil and then a blanket and let them rest in a cooler for minimum 2 hours up to 4 hours.

Bruce B said:
I agree with the hickory and I'd go 50/50 with apple wood, I think the combo is great on pork butts.

Cook them btw 2225-250 until they look like they have collapsed down onto themselves and when you can grab the bone and just about wiggle it out of the meat. I don't foil my butts, really no need to unless you're in a hurry to get done. When finished, I do wrap them in foil and then a blanket and let them rest in a cooler for minimum 2 hours up to 4 hours.

I like to foil to get all that good juice and "heart healthy" byproducts/yummies and then be able to mix that into the pulled meat.

Back
Top Bottom