WSM Questions from Scotty's Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I didn't want Scotty's beautiful beefers post to get jacked so I moved my answer here.

wboggs said:
ScottyDaQ, those do look good. Next time I do a Prime Rib Roast I think I'll take it off the bones first.

Hey what's the diameter of that WSM? I've never had one but I see they are popular and I'm recommending that as an entry smoker for someone.

Boggs, click [urlhttp://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/charcoal/SmokeyMountainCooker.aspx]HERE[/url] for more info on the WSM. They're a great cooker for entry level smokers, but not limited to entry level smokers. The ONLY draw back to the WSM is it's size. That's why most comp teams use 3-4 of them, including the BBQ-4-U Comp Team! There have been many many awards won on the WSM's. So yes they're great for the entry level cook, but also good for the Pro or Competitor.

I had never heard of a wsm until I landed here. You will save this new smoker a lot of trouble by recommending one. That being said I would not trade my experience with iinferior smokers for anything.

As I have said before, It is better to learn on a manual typewriter before going to the electric. He/she will miss out on lots of tandem throwing moments because of fire management and burnt meat but I wouldn't let that stop me from highly recommending a wsm. ;)

wboggs said:
Larry Wolfe said:
I didn't want Scotty's beautiful beefers post to get jacked so I moved my answer here.

wboggs said:
ScottyDaQ, those do look good. Next time I do a Prime Rib Roast I think I'll take it off the bones first.

Hey what's the diameter of that WSM? I've never had one but I see they are popular and I'm recommending that as an entry smoker for someone.

Boggs, click [urlhttp://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/charcoal/SmokeyMountainCooker.aspx]HERE[/url] for more info on the WSM. They're a great cooker for entry level smokers, but not limited to entry level smokers. The ONLY draw back to the WSM is it's size. That's why most comp teams use 3-4 of them, including the BBQ-4-U Comp Team! There have been many many awards won on the WSM's. So yes they're great for the entry level cook, but also good for the Pro or Competitor.
My comment in no way was intended to be belittling; in my years on Forums I have certainly noticed that many pros use WSM's and owning a Weber Kettle I know they are well made. When I first started smoking it was with a 35.00 bullet so my experience with bullets was slightly tainted with that but you certainly could cook good Q on it. Perhaps I could have worded what I said differently that a new smoker was emerging and I was recommending a WSM; that advice would have saved me buying a couple of the smokers I grew out of. Also I've never seen a WSM in person and when I see pictures posted here with meat in them I'm often surprised with how big they look loaded so I was curious how big one was.

I didn't take your comments as "belittling" at all. I was just demonstrating the versatility and wide range of users. I just moved the post so people could concentrate on Scottys beef! :shock:

wboggs said:
Larry Wolfe said:

wboggs said:

My comment in no way was intended to be belittling; in my years on Forums I have certainly noticed that many pros use WSM's and owning a Weber Kettle I know they are well made. When I first started smoking it was with a 35.00 bullet so my experience with bullets was slightly tainted with that but you certainly could cook good Q on it. Perhaps I could have worded what I said differently that a new smoker was emerging and I was recommending a WSM; that advice would have saved me buying a couple of the smokers I grew out of. Also I've never seen a WSM in person and when I see pictures posted here with meat in them I'm often surprised with how big they look loaded so I was curious how big one was.

Hey it never hurts to ask questions, I myself had never owned a WSM , but after being a misfit at Smoke On The Beach , I am a believer . I now own 2 of them , and after cooking on them I am completely sold on em. Am working on gathering my stuff to compete such as a trailer to haul everything . Might take me awhile but I will get out there till them I will continue judging contest and cooking with teams that will have me.

Ill second what Cliff said..I started smoking on a brinkman that wouldn't hold a temp to save my life..My next adventure was on my homemade trailer which works but takes a lot of tending..I learned plenty from both and am now enjoying my WSM experience. I still use my trailer for abts , corn and butts when I have the time, but with the WSM you "set it and forget it" !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom