Hot Dog Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Credit = http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2005/09 ... -buns.html

Hot Dog Buns
(ever so slightly adapted from King Arthur's recipe)
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (1 packet or 1/4 ounce)
1/4 cup warm water (105-110F)
1 cup warm milk (105-110F)
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
3-3 1/2 cups ap flour
1 egg white (for egg wash)

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, yeast and warm water. Stir to dissolve and let set until bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add in milk, vegetable oil and salt. With the mixer on a low speed with the dough hook attached, gradually add the flour. Once 3 cups have been incorporated, add the remaining flour a tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-4 minutes, until smooth and supple. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, 1-1 1/2 hours.

Shaping the dough:
Gently remove the dough from its bowl onto a floured surface. Flatten it slightly into a large rectangular log. Divide dough into thirds and divide each third into three equal pieces. Cover unworked dough with a clean dishtowel while shaping.
Gently flatten dough into a long rectangle. Fold left and right sides to meet in the center. Fold the top and bottom sides towards the center. Keep pinching the edges together, pulling the dough into a tight roll shape (Not that I'm advocating smoking - because I'm not and I don't - but it is similar to hand-rolling a cigarette. Except bigger. And dough). Repeat until you have 9 rolls.
Place hot dog buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dishtowel. Let them rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F.
Brush buns with egg white and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove to a rack to cool before slicing.
Makes 9 buns.

-----

They came out perfect... I threw an ice cube or two in the bottom of the oven to create steam (old baker trick)....gets em nice a crusty.

Obviously, I need more practice shaping the dough correctly, but there was some rush factor involved....e.g. KIDS. LOL

Thanks Scotty...now the next time I make hotdogs am I going to hear..did you cheat and buy the buns... :D
Man those look great.

No need, just print the recipe you need, shop for your ingredients, cook and toss out the recipe until the next time you need it!

Nick Prochilo said:
No need, just print the recipe you need, shop for your ingredients, cook and toss out the recipe until the next time you need it!
Or print the recipe out..put it in a protective sleve...and place it in a binder so you have it in two spots the putter and in the kitchen where you need it.. ;)

wittdog said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Or print the recipe out..put it in a protective sleve...and place it in a binder so you have it in two spots the putter and in the kitchen where you need it.. ;)

Okay.

Back
Top Bottom