Chicken Stuffed Hog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Not to start a argument, but I just got a call from a poetical customer who wants a whole hog stuffed with chicken parts. I get one or two of these calls a year and always say NO for fear of cross contamination. I know there are people out there that do it. My question is. Would you do it or eat the chicken or hog knowing it was done that way? Last one I saw I asked the old dude what the deal was, he said " we soak the chicken in a vinegar sauce over night and then stuff them in the belly and stitch up with butchers twine " I passed on eating it because the whole works looked like a pile of slime. Lots of folk ate it up like no tomorrow. Not this cat. I feel you eat with your eyes first. It sure as hell smelled good.

I'd eat that sucker .. Bring it on !!!.. fact is that you're going to get the pork up to 195, way over safe temp lvl for anyone.... heat penetrating the side of hog, NOT the hams, or shoulders, will certainly pass the 158* ...temp within 6 hours.. the suggested FDA time frame to get over 140*

BTW that "old dude" obviously got old eatin that stuff .. cant be all that bad for ya if he lived to be an "old dude"..

well I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, eat it or prepare it, but I'm sure it could be done....this would be one of those times when a thermometer could save your business and someones life.

I stuffed my last hog belly with whole chickens.... they sure didn't look like slime as you mentioned , but then again I didn't close the belly 100% and the hog rode a constant rotisserie ride, so maybe that made a difference.

I've done it both ways..with and without and haven't noticed a difference in the hog except for the fact if you put the chickens out for people to pick at while you're carving up the hog....it keeps them away from you and stops the constant people asking for a "taste" while you're trying to get the hog servable.

Well first of all why would anyone want to stuff a pig with chickens?? Next Chris why would you be scared to do it? How are you going to cross contaminate anything if the pork is cooked properly and throughly in the first place? Like Bob said there's no danger if you properly cook the hog!

Same thing if you cook a turkey or chicken over top of a butt or brisket. If you put them on at the same time the poultry will be done long before the bigger cut is done, thus any poultry juices that had dripped on the meat underneath would be done in the first place.

I did it the first time because I read somewhere that it was supposed to cook the rib cage area at a more even spead with the legs and quarters.... Now I'll occasionally do it to feed to looky-loos.

But like I said, I've done it both ways and have noticed no difference in the hog.

Finney said:
Just cut it open after cooking it and exclaim, "Now how did those get in there?", to all the looky-loos. :shock:

I don't care who you are, that would be funny!!

Guess I'm just a scary cat. I for the most part cook whole hogs rotisserie and have done one stuffed with sauerkraut and fennel, The customer told me to throw out the sauerkraut and it was for seasoning only. That was one tasty hog. But it took about three more hours to get to temp. I was scared to death about that one.(temps were on target ) By the book, Bobberqer is right with his temps. I'd love to get it right, But don't want the risk of killing anyone. I need more specific information on how to get it right. I'm not going to loose my business over one gig. But then I can do chicken on the side and not worry about it. I'd rather do that than risk a health factor of folk getting a bad food bug.

007bond-jb said:
We got a thing down here called a tur-duc-ken check it out here
http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/ ... _cajun.htm
& yes I eat em

it can take approximately 24 hours for a 30 pound, whole stuffed turduken to cook.. I do them 3-4 times a year.. and the pork is on the inside.... if that don't ya get sick doing that.... ......... I guess it's up to the individual's comfort zone in what they will cook, and eat..and serve...

How about a hog that is stuffed with Pork butts ? would the people who wont eat a chicken stuffed hog, eat a pork butt smoked hog ???

I stuffed an itty bitty piggy with sausage one time.....

Nick you are a bad influence..not only did you get deleted...but you managed to get my wife deleted as well :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom