Water pan question part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
Another thing I have heard is that you should put onions and other fresh spices in the water in your water pan. Does this actually work or is this another myth? Has anyone tried this? What do you guys think?

I tried this the first time or two. In my opinion, the most it does is make the smoke smell a little better while the meat is cooking, but I don't think it makes any difference in the taste of the meat.

Helen_Paradise said:
Piedmont!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, just switch to the Piedmont plan or use sand. No fuss no muss!

But to better answer your question. When I first started to make BBQ I put everything known to man into the waterpan. Like others have said and in my opinion, all it does is makes the aroma around the cooker smell real good. Other than that and the additional mess, I didn't notice one bit of flavor to the meat from anything I put in the pan.

Helen_Paradise said:
Piedmont!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that! No more greasy water to throw over the fence into my neighbor's yard. (His wife really got pissed that one time. How was I to know she was sunbathing?) :D

Sand is all I have ever used.... never tried anything else in the pan.

BUT.... I am having a hard time to grasp the idea that flavor put into a pan of water and carried through the steam enveloping the meat at cooking temperatures that the flavors won't carry into the meat.

Only thinking that because a smoker works the same way carrying the smoke flavor from the chunk to the meat....unless flavor carried in steam does not impregnate meat the same way smoke will?????

I never had this question or even thought of it until all this water pan discussion.

Smokey_Joe said:

BUT.... I am having a hard time to grasp the idea that flavor put into a pan of water and carried through the steam enveloping the meat at cooking temperatures that the flavors won't carry into the meat.

Only thinking that because a smoker works the same way carrying the smoke flavor from the chunk to the meat....unless flavor carried in steam does not impregnate meat the same way smoke will?????

I never had this question or even thought of it until all this water pan discussion.

JMO, but I agree with you SJ.
I think if people would only cook with only S & P on their meat they would notice a difference in flavor depending on what was in the pan. It might not be a large difference, that would depend on what was in there. They just have so much flavor already on the meat (rubs and slathers, etc) that they can't tell a difference.

Finney said:
Smokey_Joe said:

JMO, but I agree with you SJ.
I think if people would only cook with only S & P on their meat they would notice a difference in flavor depending on what was in the pan. It might not be a large difference, that would depend on what was in there. They just have so much flavor already on the meat (rubs and slathers, etc) that they can't tell a difference.

Thanks Finney, Wolfe Rub sales just plummeted as everyone rushed to the local grocery stores for salt and pepper. :roll:

Oh you silly man...................

You're safe. No one appreciates the simple approach.

Nobody listens to me anyway. All I was saying is that with so many spices and flavor compounds on the meat you will not notice the delecate flavors that you can get from stuff in the water pan.

Finney said:

Nobody listens to me anyway. All I was saying is that with so many spices and flavor compounds on the meat you will not notice the delecate flavors that you can get from stuff in the water pan.

Bill does! :twisted:

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:

Pot Stirrer!!!! :P

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:

Yeah, and?

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":36zexy23]
Finney said:

Yeah, and?[/quote:36zexy23]

Nothing............

Howz about that Water Pan? :LOL: (finney getting the post back on topic)

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":h7mk1y9o]
Finney said:

Yeah, and?

Nothing............

Howz about that Water Pan? :LOL: (finney getting the post back on topic)[/quote:h7mk1y9o]

I do all of my cooks with a guru so I only have aluminum foil in my pan. It doesn't really add any flavor to the meat unless I only rub it with a little salt and pepper! :roll: :oops: :shock: :LOL: :(

Back
Top Bottom