Water Pan Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
Here is a question I thought all of us could discuss. This is for those of us who use a water pan in our smokers. I have watched on the food network where people put apple juice in their water pan. I have talked to people who put pineapple juice in their water pan. People put almost any liquid imaginable in their water pan.

My question is does it really matter what you put in your water pan? Does it add any flavor to what you are cooking?

Let me know what you guys think and why.

I think it makes a nice aroma around the smoker. Can't tell a difference
in the meat.

Which is why I don't get q tips from Food Network. A lot of other tips, but for q info, I come here.

It won't make any difference...also, I am not a subscriber to the fact that the water pan makes the meat moist because of evaporation...its a heat sink and that's it!

I agree with pretty much everything already said. Years ago I added evertyhing imaginable to the water pan and never noticed any flavor or moisture difference.

I agree, heat sink only. Plenty of moisture in my cooker with no water pan.

Heat sink & auto temp. controler, no flavor comes from the water pan additives in the meat. However you can use the water with drippins for a smokey gravy base

Greg Rempe said:
It won't make any difference...also, I am not a subscriber to the fact that the water pan makes the meat moist because of evaporation...its a heat sink and that's it!

It's only a heat sink in the beginning or when you refill and that's only if you fill it with cold water. For anyone that wants to use water, fill it with either boiling water or water out of your coffee pot.

What?

If I had a water pan in my Lang, it would have to be large enough to bathe in.
Never could tell the difference in having a water pan in my other smokers. Quit using them YEARS ago.
The meat don't know the difference. Waste of time and makes a mess.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

Hey Brad,
Welcome to the forum. And way to jump right in there.
I for one won't argue with you on what you said... I'm one of the people that would be on your side.

But............ I quit arguing this point with these guys long ago.

Have fun, dig in your heels, and make us all proud. ;)

"viva le difference" :roll:

Brad...I'm guessing you aren't going to be using the WSM to cook bacon a lot to get that drastic difference you point out. On 30#'s of pork or brisket it ain't gonna make a big difference.

Moreover, I defy anyone to be able to tell a difference between a butt cooked w/ sand in the pan and one with water in the pan...it's a heat sink...otherwise it would have been left out of the whole smoker scheme deal...or not :D

I just used the word "Moreover"... :LOL:

Greg Rempe said:
Brad...I'm guessing you aren't going to be using the WSM to cook bacon a lot to get that drastic difference you point out. On 30#'s of pork or brisket it ain't gonna make a big difference.

Moreover, I defy anyone to be able to tell a difference between a butt cooked w/ sand in the pan and one with water in the pan...it's a heat sink...otherwise it would have been left out of the whole smoker scheme...or not :D

I just used the word "Moreover"... :LOL:

Your "Moreover" jones makes me all kabookied out on the deal! :D :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom