MARKETING MY SAUCE AND RUB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkin Pork

Senior Cook
Hey everyone,
I been using my own sauce and ruib for about a year now and everyone thinks I should get it out on the Market, or at least sell it on the internet.

Anyone have an idea about how I would go about doing that :?:

Northsmoke Connecticut :idea: [/b]

I would suggest getting one of the last banner ad spots on the forum! Also look in to podcast commercials for advertising!! Go to the homepage and click on the "Advertise" button for all the details!

or

www.bbq4uads.com

Perhaps a sample of your rub and sauce and I would able to advise you and perhaps head up a marketing strategy for your products...ask Larry Wolfe about the wonderful job I did for him with his recent Holiday Special that we ran for his Wolfe Rub. A tremendous success!

Bruce B said:
Perhaps a sample of your rub and sauce and I would able to advise you and perhaps head up a marketing strategy for your products...ask Larry Wolfe about the wonderful job I did for him with his recent Holiday Special that we ran for his Wolfe Rub. A tremendous success!

That might work... Or you stuff might just sit on Bruce's self.

Several people have been through it all ready. Maybe one will come to help.

Bruce B said:

So Larry is making his own rub now????? :shock:

Samplies

Hmmm.......maybe I should patten it first before I go given out samplies.
I mean, I may be a northerner, but I can Q....and I can sauce and rub.
And besides...there is something that makes me nervous about doin business with the mob. :roll:

Northsmoke,

There are lots of guys on the net doing it, I am rather new to the game...but, I would ask - question #1 - Are you doing this for fun or for real? Big difference in time and money. What are your expectations?

Gator

Re: Samplies

Northsmoke said:
And besides...there is something that makes me nervous about doin business with the mob. :roll:

Mob??? Waste Management Consultant my friend, and don't you forget it.

Re: Samplies

Bruce B said:
Northsmoke said:

Mob??? Waste Management Consultant my friend, and don't you forget it.
:LOL:

Send me a sample, I'll handle it from there. I pretty much put Wolfe rub on the map! I was gonna try marketing Puffs sausage but.....................

Nick Prochilo said:
Send me a sample, I'll handle it from there. I pretty much put Wolfe rub on the map! I was gonna try marketing Puffs sausage but.....................

I think we all know what you're doing with Puff's sausage..... [smilie=a_holyshit.gif]

Northsmoke said:
Hey everyone,
I been using my own sauce and ruib for about a year now and everyone thinks I should get it out on the Market, or at least sell it on the internet.

Anyone have an idea about how I would go about doing that :?:

Northsmoke Connecticut :idea: [/b]

I know it seems like these guys are mooching for free rub, but.......................it is indeed a good idea to see how the general public is going like your products. Yeah it's gonna cost you a little to do this up front, but it's better to do it this way than it is to fork out a minimum $5-$6k to properly market your products and then find out it's not as good in the public realm as your "friends" thought it was. Friends, co-workers, acquaintences aren't really people you want giving you "yeah it's real good" opinions of something you're getting ready to invest a good amount of money into. If you're serious about doing this, I would recommend you set a limit for yourself financially and offer to send out about a 4oz sample to however many people you can afford or want to send it to and ask for feedback. Don't bother asking people on this board to be honest, they certainly will. Sometimes painfully honest, BUT that's a definite good thing in this case. If the majority come back and say they don't care for your product it's time to cut your loses in most cases. If the overwhelming majority says it's great, then go to step 2.

Step 2.

Contact your states Dept of Agriculture, at least that's who got the ball rolling for me and without them I would have been lost. They were some of the most helpful Government people I've ever dealt with and I've worked for the Fed Gov. for close to 20 years so I know!!! Anyways. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction. However if they are not as helpful as Va's then contact your County Government and Health Dept. and tell them what you are doing how you are going to do it and see what they say. If your state permits you to bottle in your home be prepared to give your first born to make it happen! :shock: Some states will let you bottle in an FDA approved kitchen that serves food to the public (ie, Elks, Moose, VFW, Churches, etc.) What I would suggest is for you to look into a co-packer to do your bottling for you, some of them will drop ship directly from their packaging plant to your customers for a small fee. Having a co-packer package your product is the WAY to go. Yes it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to get a batch made, but it will save you so so so so so so much trouble.

More stuff you need. 1. Business License (at least in Va you do, check with your state) 2. Insurance 3. LLC or some type of corporation. (this will protect you, your family and your personal assets if you are ever sued)

It's 4:30 in the morning, but I think I covered most of the stuff to get you started. If I think of anything else, I will add it later.

Oh, one more thing. Don't even attempt to do this unless you LOVE doing it. If you think you're going to start selling your rub and become rich overnight or at all, rethink what you're doing. If your already rich invest in Wolfe Rub!! :shock: I feed off my passion for food, bbq and cooking by running Wolfe BBQ Seasonings. I always dreamed of having my own business doing something I love and I'm doing it regardless of the profits. Yes you can make money selling BBQ Rubs/Products but it will not happen overnight and maybe not at all. It more than certainly won't happen with just internet sales!!! Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Bruce B said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2cz5zxsh]Send me a sample, I'll handle it from there. I pretty much put Wolfe rub on the map! I was gonna try marketing Puffs sausage but.....................

I think we all know what you're doing with Puff's sausage..... [smilie=a_holyshit.gif][/quote:2cz5zxsh]

Nothing! I didn't get any either so I couldn't do that even if you wanted me too! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom