Cleaning the Grates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Since I was cooking two over two on the butts today I cleaned both grates good. I really cleaned the top grate since I didn't want old burnt fat dripping on the meat.

In the process of scrubbing the top grate in the kitchen sink I made a huge mess. There was black gunk all over the floor, the counter tops and in the sink as well.

I got the grate clean enough to eat off of but now I would like to know how everyone handles this. Do you agree that the top grate needs to be in like new condition when cooking on the top and the bottom ?

I am thinking that if there is a machine to scrub a golf ball then surely there must be something for cleaning a flat round grate.

Any suggestions ?

Naw...

I lay my grate over the chimney as it roaring and cook the stuff to char, then brush it away.

Some people use cleaners
Some people use dishwashers
Some people just use a wire brush
Some people are anal and want super pure clean grates each time they cook
and...
Some people just don't give a damn

About every 5th cook I will take the grates and soak them in the laundry tub in Greased Lightning or Awesome or some other commercial grade degreaser and then attack them with a scotch brite pad. Other than that I just scrape them of any gunk then metal brush them and then use a "Grill Wipes" on them before cooking.

http://www.gratechef.com/

I soak mine in soapy water in the utility sink for a little while, half at a time because they fit at about a 45° angle, and then scrub off the food grunge with an old nylon dish brush. I don't worry about the smoke stain. ;)

--John 8)
(Then I use cleanser and a sponge to clean up the mess I made in the utility sink. :( )

I fire up the gasser and drop the grates on there...after they get nice and hot I Monster Grill Brush them and then all done. :D

I do it like Greg but put a layer of foil over the entire grill with the grate underneath it. It cleans it like a self cleaning oven. I just did mine today!

I use those copper colored metal scrubby things.
I scrub them in the sink but only do a half of the grate at a time.
Saves messing up everything else. They really work good :D

Wire brush while they are hot after cooking.......pressure wash at end of season (November) NO SOAP EVER!!!!!

Woodman said:
Wire brush while they are hot after cooking.......pressure wash at end of season (November) NO SOAP EVER!!!!!

I agree except sometimes I have used Simple Green since it is biodegradeable and has no chemicals. I thought you pressure washed after every cook??? I have a pressure washer at home but nowhere for the crap to go so it's worth the $1.50 to make a mess at their place.

We do most of our cooking in summer. I put the grates in a black plastic trash bag with oven cleaner and put it in the sun. Then I just take them out a few hours later, clean them off with a scrubber and water. Works great!!

If I don't have time to do that, I do it in the sink with a SOS pad and water. Then clean the big mess I've made. l

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom