Thursday Chuck Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
We got 3" of snow this afternoon here in Jonesboro today. More coming tonight.

We only get snow once every year or two so ya'll can imagine the chaos.

Seems to me that tomorrow would be a perfect day to smoke some chucks.

One "Bold" chuck and one Hoochie Mama" chuck.

They are wrapped and waiting till morning in the fridge.

Oh man you're making me hungry Cliff!!! Those are some very nice looking Chuck Roasts!!!

Cliff H. said:
See the noticeable difference between the two smokers. :LOL:

Yup... one has two chuck roasts in it and the other one doesn't! :LOL:

cleglue said:
How long do you smoke chuck roast and what temperature do you take them to?
Two or three fairly recent threads talk about chuck. The general consensus, I think, is to foil them around 160-165°, take them off around 200-205°, then wrap in towels and let them rest 2-3 hrs in a cooler. :)

--John 8)
(Tasty stuff. :D )

Unity said:
cleglue said:
Two or three fairly recent threads talk about chuck. The general consensus, I think, is to foil them around 160-165°, take them off around 200-205°, then wrap in towels and let them rest 2-3 hrs in a cooler. :)

--John 8)

thats worked great for me everytime. put a pan under it to catch those wonderful juices too. pull it out when you foil...or a little before if its a big cut of meat. makes for a great au jus..or a start to one if you want to kick it up

Unity said:
cleglue said:

--John 8)

Resting the chucks for a long period of time IMO is the difference in good chucks and dry chucks!!

Well,
The chucks hit 165 about three hours after going on the smoker. No sooner than I foiled them my brother-in-law calls and ask if I want to help him deliver some furntiure$$$$$$$$$. The pit was holding about 265 in the dome, so I set all the thermometers to go off at 200 and left instructions with my dear wife.

She did everything just right. Both chucks had a great flavor. The "Bold" chuck had an excellent flavor that went well with beef. The sample from Gator was very good also. I will be using both seasonings again. No complaints there.

Both the chucks were on the dry side. I am pretty sure that two hours was not long enough in the cooler.

So I chopped them up and ate good anyway.

Cliff H. said:
Both chucks had a great flavor.... were on the dry side.
Too bad they weren't as moist as you expected. The four I've done came out about as moist as a well-cooked butt.

How'd your WSM do this time?

--John 8)

Unity said:
Cliff H. said:
Both chucks had a great flavor.... were on the dry side.
Too bad they weren't as moist as you expected. The four I've done came out about as moist as a well-cooked butt.

How'd your WSM do this time?

--John 8)

John,
I have about decided that I am using to much wood. I am amazed at how the WSM holds heat and conserves fuel for the entire day. I think I am experiencing a creasote build up not unlike what happens with my CG.

I used one small stick and two big chunks for this cook and wood was burning ten hours later when I took the lid off.

Speaking of lid. I had my wife shut the pit down after she took the meat off but when I finally got home it was still 90 deg. With all the variables, pit temp, cold weather, build up on the top lip of the mid section I like to have never got the lid off. I mean it was welded to the top section with buildup. Not just the lid but the top vent and even the door latch would not budge for 5-10 min.Only after rehating a bit was I able to get it off.

I think I am going to use much smaller chunks from now on and not as may of them.

Back
Top Bottom