Make it stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I built one huge ring of charcoal this morning expecting it to burn for 16 hours. The brisket was at 195 in seven hours.

WSM is holding 237 with all the vents closed.

Will it burn out quicker witth all the vents open or am I just going to have to wait it out?

Cliff H. said:
I built one huge ring of charcoal this morning expecting it to burn for 16 hours. The brisket was at 195 in seven hours.

WSM is holding 237 with all the vents closed.

Will it burn out quicker witth all the vents open or am I just going to have to wait it out?

Well, it will certainly burn faster with all the vents open.... Even faster with the lid off. :shock:
But..... you should be able to close all vents and the fire should die in about an hour. If it doesn't you might have an overly leaky WSM. Check fit between the section and how the vents close off after it's all cooled down.

Yeah what Finney said. But if you really want the fire to die quickly, remove the mid-section and place the lid directly ontop of the bottom and close all of the vents.

'Yall,

I just had a Weber flash-back. I also used to shut down all my vents, kill the fire, then resue the charcoal the next time I fired it up....forgot all about that. What a great cooker. Makes me want to get another one...

Gator

stlouBBQ said:
you should be able to close all vents and the fire should die in about an hour. If it doesn't you might have an overly leaky WSM.

I love my WSM, but not cooling down after all the vents were closed started happening to me, too. Then, I noticed that the top of my door started to "flatten out" and it didn't contour to the barrel of the smoker. I just called Weber customer service, which requested I e-mail them some digital pictures. I had a new door delivered to my front door within 2 days.

I don't know if that is your problem, but that could be the reason for the "overly leaky WSM."

I'm glad you posted that, because Weber made me send them digital pic's when I received an out of round mid section about a year ago as well! Nobody believed me!!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom