WTF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
My wife was making a pot of chili, took the lid off the pot and set it on the side she wasn't using. All of a sudden the glass just exploded and shattered everywhere. I guess the lid created a suction and just popped the glass. The stove is less than two years old. I hope I still have a warranty!

that looks like my oven. I don't like the flattops...looks great, but cooks like shiznit. Now I'm scared to cook again.

Hope no one got hit by the glass.

First off, what kind of real cook, has an electric stove top? Second, I'm glad it's not a WHIRLPOOL PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!! My wife was nearly killed by CARBON MONOXIDE POISINING before Christmas CAUSED BY OUR 4 YEAR OLD WHIRLPOOL STOVE! WE had a repairman out to fix it because it was the holidays and we needed a stove. WEll, Whirlpool refused to cover it (even though the repair at $147.00 did not solve the problem) because they wanted their technician to look at it. They took a week to call us back, and their tech made it out two weeks after the initial problem occurred! Yeah, (read this with appropriate sarcasm) I don't need my oven between 12/22 and 01/05!!!!!! Basically, Whirlpool /Sears is trying to wear us down so we give up! WE went out and bought a GE "dual fuel" gas cooktop with convection oven for $1700.00!!!!!!!! No more worries about carbon monoxide from the oven. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL APPLIANCE NOR SHOULD YOU!!!!!WHIRLPOOL OVENS WILL KILL YOU AND THEY WON"T DO A THING ABOUT IT!!!!

Isn't GE & Whirpool made by the same company? I have the same stove Larry and I've had the lids stick like that the same way but never caused the stovetop to crack. That stove Woody bought is one of the few dual fuel that I have seen and it's what I'm getting next time I'm in the market for one! Glad nobody got hurt.

I've seen several people lately commenting on those glass cooktops breaking. Some were because of setting something cold on them, one just broke when they were cooking and no one was even near the stove. I can see where they would be easier to clean but I don't think that is a stove I would enjoy using. I've always heard you shouldn't use cast iron on them because it will scratch or cause breaking/cracking. I use my cast iron skillet way, way too much to contend with those possibilities!

Heard that one LOTS of times Larry. Call GE and they will replace the part but not the labor. My guess is your looking at a hundred bucks labor. That top cost is around $325.00 list about a year or so ago. If I remember. It's too bad it broke. I can tell you exactly what happened. When the hot lid was put down on the glass, condensation formed on the inside of the lid, as the water drips down around the bottom of the lid a seal is formed, as the lid cools a vacuum is formed till the glass breaks. But you knew that already.

Woodman said:
First off, what kind of real cook, has an electric stove top?

The kind that doesn't live in a house where natural gas hasn't been run through yet. You have any idea how much it costs to tap into a main gas line?

I also find it interesting that you diss on one who has an electric stove top, but you had a problem with a serious side affect of burning natural gas? Don't get me wrong, I much rather prefer cooking with gas versus electric, but they both have pro's and con's.

Larry, sorry to hear about the stove top problem. But atleast no one was hurt!

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
Woodman said:

The kind that doesn't live in a house where natural gas hasn't been run through yet. You have any idea how much it costs to tap into a main gas line?

I also find it interesting that you diss on one who has an electric stove top, but you had a problem with a serious side affect of burning natural gas? Don't get me wrong, I much rather prefer cooking with gas versus electric, but they both have pro's and con's.

Tim

Gas/electric who cares which... it's just a stove...it's THE Q OUTSIDE that matters!!!!!!!

I myself have a LP gas stove in kitchen, for the same reason..too expensive to run the city gas out my way... I find the LP works just as well.

I don't know if you'll want to give them the specifics on how the top broke when you call them... willing to bet somewheres in your owners manual for that stovetop..there will be a "warning" or disclaimer about the lid...or placing anything but a "cooking vessel" on that surface. They may not make good on it if they know it was the hot lid.

Happy to hear no one was hurt! How'd the chili come out?

Don't tell them a thing! You call GE and say I had a SMALL (no more than 5 qt) pot of chili simmering (I mean simmering) and went to watch some sports on TV that I have been watching and heard a huge bang and crash in the kitchen, when I got there I saw my glass top had broken. Also make sure you tell them it was a stainless steel FLAT bottom pot. (they WILL ask what kind of pot) TRUST ME after 20 some odd years in the appliance repair field, I know how to get free parts. I feel bad for folk that spend there hard worked for money on a appliance to only have it take a major powder after only a few years of service.

Good advice pigs.... I'm NOT in the appliance biz...and I kinda figured there would be 20 questions and the lid can and probably would get the manufacturer off the hook.

Kinda stinks to have to bend the truth...but 2 years on a brand new appliance isn't near enough time.

Personally I think those surface cooktop elec. stoves sold "TO CONSUMERS" should be made for "CONSUMER USE"..... who in real life is going to buy ALL NEW cookware and use ONLY that on their stove?.... and never ever put anything but that on there....I can only imagine the people and children hurt from such instances ..and if not hurt, can only imagine the trouble they have caused.

How many parents are that understanding to come into the room with their 11 year old making mac&cheese and seeing a smashed stove top...they are more then likely going to think "something" was done "wrong".

I think those cook tops are a cool idea, but need a LOT of fine tuning still...... before they are open for normal consumer use. Maybe they need a "Re-Call"?

just my $.02

CarolinaQue said:
Woodman said:

Tim

Get a bottle then! ;) In all honesty, there is NO PRO for an electric cook top top except convenience! I had electric as a boy and in my early married years and IT SUCKS!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom