Wood Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla

Sous Chef
I guy on another forum asked how folks are storing their BBQ wood. So after gathering some pics I thought I'd post it here too. I have a few ways I do it. I have a round wood rack my son gave me for Christmas that he made it welding shop a few years ago. I have a few free standing stacks, and another stack up against a fence that is held together with one of those 1" ratcheting tie down straps. For the larger stacks I drive two fence posts into the ground and stack between them. Also for smaller wood or wood thats hard to stack I make wire baskets and fill them up. They are cheap, allow great air circulation, easy access and you can put them anywhere and build them in any shape. You can even hold a cord of split wood in them. Once full they are unmovable.

Main Stack - Mesquite on the left Live Oak on the right. It's covered by a 3' overhang on the Q-Bana.

The last of my Apple in the round rack

The last of the peach in the small baskets

More green Mesquite in the foreground, 2 stacks post oak and three large baskets

Some Pecan held together with a tie down strap. It's tied to the fence too.

Three large baskets 30" around 4' tall full of small logs and chunks. Pecan, Mesquite, Live Oak, Post Oak.

I always try to keep the wood rack on the pit full of oak. That way I always have dry wood ready to go.

Nice system you have there. I am not near that organized. It is just piled along the fence :oops: . Most of it is white oak and austrailian pine. Easy to tell them apart, so no big deal.

What Dats said :shock:
Wow............. :shock: wow.........what a supply :shock:
Very nice Zilla, very nice [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

The stuff in the back still has a year or two to season so Ill be good to go for 3 years. I have a lead on a few Mesquite trees to cut down so the wood pile will grow a bit. I'll stop collecting this summer and cruse for a few years.

Very nice Z

Let me make one more suggestion to irritate the neighbors-err help the wood supply. :?

Get some corragated metal roofing to top the stacks with. Keeping the rain off the stacks helps 'em dry quicker and keeps 'em dry better.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom