Organic meats..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
The butcher in town sells only organic meats...The steaks are awesome, but the pork seems to be a bit void of flavor. The briskets are a crapshoot. Some hae been good, some bland...your thoughts ?

John our local grocer sells organic meats and vegetables. I've tried them a couple times and have been less than impressed. No flavor and the texture of the vegetables seemed to be off as well. I'll take my chances with the mass produced meats and vegetables and save money as well!

Keep in mind the whole idea with Organic foods is that the products do not have the hormone's and pesticides used to keep the products fresh and to pump up the size of the meats or veggies. This will lead to 'healthier' meats, veggies, fruits, etc.

Does it lead to making something taste better? Like most of you, there has been no difference. The shelf life is certainly not as long either.

Not to sound offensive or rude but quite frankly, hormone's injected in foods (chicken, cows (cows milk) etc) have lead to our children to 'come into their own' if I might say at a far earlier age than in the past. Heck, Time magazine actually did an article on children hitting puberty at a younger age.

One of my neices was 9 years old when she started cycles. My brother and sister-in-law fed those kids hot dogs, chicken nuggets and regular milk like it was going out of style, also because that's all they'd eat.

Now, I don't particulary go out of my way to buy organic foods but one thing I do buy is organic milk. That is a product my 5 yr old (and now my 1 yr old) do drink on a regular, everyday, more than once a day, basis.

Do the hormone's and pesticides and now GMO (genetically modified organisms) foods cause cancer or other disease? Does it contribute? Well unless we have a case study we don't know (maybe we do).

For most people it's a out of sight out of mind issue. So would I personally buy organic foods? I would have to say no except milk.

Just my observation from being involved with natural foods since I was 3.

And of course the price is higher because its organic....I guess ill stick with Sam's or my local mom and pop grocers meats..

I think for those who are interested more in Organic foods here are 2 links, like Fox News, fair and balanced;

this is the Organic Trade Association (all the positives about organic here)

http://www.ota.com/index.html (in the near bottom left is an Organic Facts link)

this is the Quack Watch Website that defines Organic as well but talks about loopholes

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ganic.html

The best meat we ever had was when we raised our own, but thats not something I want to get back into. I take my chances with the rest and hope to find a local, smaller farmer to buy mine from , it may cost a little more, but you know its fresh.

We used to buy half cows from a local farmer..all corn fed...best meat I ever ate....the burgers were as tasty as the steak !!! And it was pretty reasonable per pound..just a big outlay all at once...

sometimes they come down a bit on price if you buy both sides, but then that only works if you have someone to go in with. once we stopped raising them thats how we bought them. split a whole one with my parents and or brother

Pigs are exactly that...PIGS, they are meant to eat anything any everything! From garbage to grains and EVERYTHING in between! Of course the healthy organic raised pig is bland tasting.

Strictly corn feeding a hog is the same as genetically altering their being..(to me)

Strictly corn fed hog isn't much different then a strictly milk fed calf... and I also find veal kind of bland...definately tender....but bland.

There is a farmer who raises lots of beef cattle that I have been dealing with that told me to be careful because "its all Black Angus after its been packaged". If there is a way to cheat and make money, people will find a way.

Back
Top Bottom