Wittdogs Yankee Sausage and Chicken Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Wittdogs Yankee Sausage and Chicken Gumbo

1 Family Pack of Chicken Thighs
2 Pounds of the best Smoked Sausage you can find (I use my homemade Polish)
1 ½ Onions Chopped
1 Pepper Chopped
3 Stalks of Celery Chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic finely Chopped
3 Cups Canola Oil
3 Cups Flour
2 TBLS Essence of Emril
2 tea Cayenne pepper
2 TBLS Black Pepper
3 Bay Leaves
3 Large Containers of Chicken Broth

1. Slice Sausage I also like to dice some into cubes….11/2lb sliced ½ cubed.
2.Brown Sausage
3. In a bag combine some flour and some Essence of Emril….place deskined chicken in bad and coat with Flour spice mixture…(I do this cuz it makes the chicken brown better)
4.Brown Chicken
5.Scrape the Brownies off bottom of pan and add the 3 cups oil and Bay Leaves
6.Then add the Flour to make the Rouix….you need to stir this constantly making sure it doesn’t burn.. when you get the color you want like a peanut color..and two TBLS of Essence stir in….It will take about a ½ hr to get the color you want in the rouix..it may even take longer…
7. Add the Onion,Peppers,Celery and Garlic stirring for about 5 min…being careful not to burn the Rouix
8. Then add the Chicken stock and the browned sausage and chicken.
9. Simmer for about an hour till the chicken is tender…if you overcook the chicken it will get stringy and you don’t want that.
10. Remove chicken from Gumbo and Shred or chop it…being careful to remove the odd piece of grizzle or fat.
11. Skim off any grease that accumulates on top of the Gumbo. Add the chicken back in and serve over rice

The amounts of Onion, Peppers and Celery are approximate…you want it to equal parts of each….
This makes a big batch of Gumbo….we like to vac pac and have it in the freezer for another day.
The most crucial part is making the roix…be careful not to burn it it needs constant attention, you want to do this part over low heat…..

Well he did admit it was yankee gumbo. Can we cut the brudder a little slack here? :LOL:

bigwheel

Easy guys...okra is a tad bit hard to find up North....I personaly like Okra..but have a hard time finding it...and as far a the file' powder...feel free to add it before you serve it...this recipe makes a pretty big batch...I dont' think you would want to add it and then freeze it...

You say they dont even have Okry in the frozen food section? That sounds unAmerickan.

bigwheel

I might be able to find it in the frozen section....but I'm big on using the freshest ings if I'm going to all the trouble of making this....if I used the frozen stuff mine as well get the rouix in a jar :D

Well frozen cut okry is surprising good quality. Thats about all I use. Just be sure to deslime it or it make your gumbo be too slick and snotty textured. To deslime just dump the froze okry in a big skillet with a little bit of oil and heat it up and stir occasionally. When it quits looking gooey and stringy its deslimed. Dont take long. 10 mins maybe.

bigwheel

If it was me I would add the okry in the last 20-30 mins or so of the cook time. Once it been deslimed it partially cooked anyway. That should work.

bigwheel

Just a note on okra in gumbos: Of course anyone can do whatever he or she wishes but okra in not usually included in Cajun gumbos based on fowl--chicken and andouille, smoked duck and andouille, etc. These often include filé--but not always--and filé and okra are not used together.

Cajuns tens to use okra in seafood gumbos and one sees the same in Carolina creole gumbos. But okra is seen in many poultry-based gumbos of Carolina.

K Kruger said:
Just a note on okra in gumbos: Of course anyone can do whatever he or she wishes but okra in not usually included in Cajun gumbos based on fowl--chicken and andouille, smoked duck and andouille, etc. These often include filé--but not always--and filé and okra are not used together.

Cajuns tens to use okra in seafood gumbos and one sees the same in Carolina creole gumbos. But okra is seen in many poultry-based gumbos of Carolina.

So I guess if you want to you can, if you don't want to you don't have too.

Of course.

My point is that using okra needn't be automatic; that traditionally it has its place, or not, in various gumbos. Many Northerners, especially (but not a few Southerners), shy away from gumbos because they think they always include okra and they don't like okra and thus assume they won't like gumbos. I usually introduce to those unfamiliar with gumbos the two mentioned above--chicken and andouille and smoked duck and andouille--and then let them try a seafood gumbo (with okra), a shrimp gumbo (with or without), and a gumbo aux herbes (without). Many people just think they don't like okra but some really don't of course. (But they don't know what they're missing--nothing quite like black-eyed pea and okra soup.)

Okra, when used, is often added with the trinity or not long thereafter. Chopping the okra and sauteing till browned will remove much of its stringy nature and this is frequently done. But some cooks prefer to add okra after the stock has been added and brought to a simmer. If cooking for those whose taste in okra is unknown or questionable, try the former route.

Well the way I been taught all this stuff came about back in the good old days down in cajun country was Gumbos was made with okry in the summer (when okry was plentiful) and when they run out of okry as in the winter they used File' (sic) powder i.e. sassafrass leaves in place of the okra to give it some body or whutever and that got called File' Gumbo. Now having said that...will further say that despite the roots of the dish there are a lot of recipes out there (some of the best in my book) which calls for both Okry and File. Now many recipes say dont cook with the File powder but add it at the table on an individual basis..but I will counteract that one right quick by saying the best Gumbo I ever ate had the File' Powder cooked into the recipe..along with the okry. Now I can make Gumbo without File' Powder if I was forced into it..but I aint making none without Okry. I just as soon be gut shot..nearly:) Thanks.

bigwheel

K Kruger said:
Of course.

My point is that using okra needn't be automatic; that traditionally it has its place, or not, in various gumbos. Many Northerners, especially (but not a few Southerners), shy away from gumbos because they think they always include okra and they don't like okra and thus assume they won't like gumbos. I usually introduce to those unfamiliar with gumbos the two mentioned above--chicken and andouille and smoked duck and andouille--and then let them try a seafood gumbo (with okra), a shrimp gumbo (with or without), and a gumbo aux herbes (without). Many people just think they don't like okra but some really don't of course. (But they don't know what they're missing--nothing quite like black-eyed pea and okra soup.)

Okra, when used, is often added with the trinity or not long thereafter. Chopping the okra and sauteing till browned will remove much of its stringy nature and this is frequently done. But some cooks prefer to add okra after the stock has been added and brought to a simmer. If cooking for those whose taste in okra is unknown or questionable, try the former route.

I would never have guessed that okra was that complicated! :oops:

This has been a very interesting read with great input from everyone. I made the gumbo just like the recipe says and questioned the okra also. It would be good with it BUT, it was also good without.

I agree that frozen okra won't screw up the gumbo.

I have never made a roux with this much oil and flour before. Most of the ones I have done have been more like one cup of each. I have never made a batch this large either. It took an hour just to get the roux right.

Anyone making this better use a big stock pot.

Well think okry free Gumbo is a lot like liverless Boudan in that some folks (mainly yankees) like it without liver and some folks (januine Texanized coonasses for example) turn up their noses at it if the liver come up MIA or whutever. Now think I could tolerate okryless Gumbo mo betta than liver free Boudan. I tried that one time and like to have started heaving. Wow...talk about some nasty stuff.

bigwheel

I've lived in Yankee land most of my life...minus about 10 years...and I ain't NEVER seen a yankee turn his nose up to liver ...EVER......cooked any way shape or form.

Maybe I'm just around the wrong Yankees :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom