My Latest Rib Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
This rub incorporates fenugreek seed, one of my favorite spices. It is usually found whole though some distributors sell a ground product. It will last much longer whole. Fenugreek seed should be toasted lightly before grinding. Do not over-toast or it will become bitter. It is best used in blends (it is a primary component of curry powders); it is a rather unique flavor, kind of maple-y.

1/4 c light Muscovado sugar
1/4 c pure ground Ancho chili powder
1/4 c pure ground hot New Mexico chili powder
1/3 c onion powder
1/3 c dried thyme
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
12-15 whole allspice
1 Tbls whole fenugreek seeds

Toast the allspice and fenugreek* in a dry pan that's been heating on med-high while you've been assembling the other ingredients. Toast 45-60 secs, stirring constantly. Grind immediately.

Blend everything.

As always, I do not include salt in my rub mixtures.

I prefer to apply a nice even amount of Kosher salt to my ribs, wait a few minutes for the surface of the meat to become moist, then apply the rub generously.

This recipe covered 3 racks of spares well.

*Like with many other spices toasting can bring out a bit more flavor. They can get bitter if over-toasted so be brief and remove them immediately from the pan to cool. Fenugreek seeds are very hard. Because of this, if your grinder can't quite handle them use more than you need and do the best you can, then use a mesh sieve to remove the larger unground pieces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom