Thermopen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Received my thermopen yesterday, Holy Crap, I cannot believe how big that thing is. Looking at them on line led me to think it would fit in a shirt pocket, uh uh. It's very fast and accurate with the ice/boiling water test.

Once you start using it....you won't be able to live without it....I like the big size if it was to small....I think once I was in my cups and in cooking mode I'd lose the damn thing....

Guess I just don't get it, you cook for hours and you need a temp that fast? When it's done, it's done. No doubt thermopen is a fine product, but do you really need one for barbecue? Guess I'm not a gadget guy. Time and experience will tell you when your product is done. Only time I use a dial thermometer is to be sure my holding temps are safe. Guess I'm just cheap. Or as the wife calls it "thrifty" when she buys a hundred dollar pair of shoes cuz they were on sale. ;)

Well when your gassing your Q for your customer....you dont' want the door to be open that long...lest you let out all the heat.... :twisted:

Pigs, you hit the nail right on the head. It's a need vs. want thing, you don't "need" it, it's just another toy that I WANT! Kind of like a drinking thing.

Bruce B said:
Pigs, you hit the nail right on the head. It's a need vs. want thing, you don't "need" it, it's just another toy that I WANT! Kind of like a drinking thing.

Once you get one, it's like Dave said, you won't know how you cooked without it!!!

I always cook to temp, be it BBQ, grilling, or skillet. Probes are inserted for large meats, such as butts. The Thermopen is just another toy, like the three cookers on the back porch. It came in real handy with last nights Rib Eye. 8)

Well my Achilles Heel is grilling..I put the steaks on the gasser and try to figger out when it be ready. Would this gizmo help?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well my Achilles Heel is grilling..I put the steaks on the gasser and try to figger out when it be ready. Would this gizmo help?

bigwheel

Absolutely Jeff! It's a great device and well worth the money it costs! My achilles heel was grilling as well and knowing when things were done, but the thermapen fixed it. It's also great for indoor cooking as well. My wife used to overcook everything, now she uses the thermapen and food is nice and juicy!! If you can get 5 other people to go in for a group buy you can save $15 bucks each, that's what I did!

Thanks Larry. I try to find one of them things. I got a little instant read gauge but when you to try to check the temps while the meat is on the fire it gives a false reading cuz of the heat hitting the part of the probe which aint in the meat. The whole stalk is apparently heat sensitive is all I can figger out. I would assume the thermopen only registers at the tip or something like that?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Thanks Larry. I try to find one of them things. I got a little instant read gauge but when you to try to check the temps while the meat is on the fire it gives a false reading cuz of the heat hitting the part of the probe which aint in the meat. The whole stalk is apparently heat sensitive is all I can figger out. I would assume the thermopen only registers at the tip or something like that?
bigwheel

Yes, thats correct! That was one of the best investments I ever made!

I have tried the finger thumb ball method many times over the years and have found it lacking. I just guessed at it today and come out purty good. Had a nice grease fire too. Them CAB steaks got a lot of fat in em apparently.

bigwheel

bw

Larry is right on. With the low and slow stuff, you don't need one. But they make grilling work just right every time. I tended to over cook steaks when using the feel test. That doesn't happen with a Thermapen. Well, unless I've had too many gins and forget to use it. They won't correct for too much ethanol.

Griff

Griff, I find it great to have for low & slow also. The less time the cover is off that cooker, the better off I'm gonna be! I use it indoors also, even my wife uses it all the time now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom