Top Ten Boxing Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I saw this listed and thought it was interesting. My favorite is Cinderella Man, what a great movie!! :D :D

Like boxing itself, Hollywood's history of fight films is long enough for a pound-for-pound list. Here's just one top 10:

1. Raging Bull, 1980. Robert De Niro's portrayal of Jake LaMotta and all his demons is a gritty, black-and-white classic about a mob-infected sport during the 1950s. It's not pretty, but it is real.

2. Cinderella Man, 2005. Russell Crowe plays James Braddock, a mediocre heavyweight champ, but a courageous man who helped define his times, the Depression.

3. Rocky, 1976. Yo, the original played all the right heartstrings, although the fight scenes were way over the top. The movie goes on and on, but Apollo Creed would have been declared a TKO winner in the early rounds.

4. Fat City, 1972. Stacy Keach and Jeff Bridges play a couple guys on the fringes of a fringe game in a film directed by John Huston. It is a classic about smoky rooms and dark alleys far from Las Vegas' neon.

5. Requiem for a Heavyweight, 1962. Rod Serling's 1957 screenplay was turned into a 1962 film that starred Jackie Gleason and Anthony Quinn, who played a punch-drunk fighter. Ali, then Cassius Clay, appears early in the film as a Quinn opponent.

6. Million Dollar Baby, 2004. Clint Eastwood's Oscar winner is captivating. But there's one complaint: The fight scenes are unrealistic.

7. Ali, 2001. Will Smith sounded like the young Ali in an intriguing look at the man before his memorable victory over George Foreman in Zaire. James Toney is also good as Joe Frazier. There will be other films about Ali.

8. Somebody Up There Likes Me, 1956. This was the first film about a Rocky. Paul Newman plays middleweight Rocky Graziano.

9. On the Waterfront, 1954. Critics might not classify this Marlon Brando film as boxing. But it is remembered for one line: "I coulda been a contender."

10. Golden Boy, 1939. De La Hoya is the modern Golden Boy, but William Holden was the original in a film about a fighter who wants to be a violinist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom