Necessity is the mother of all inventions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
It was 27* on the ride home this morning and I have butts to cook. SO, I put up a little shelter around Petunia and gave her a nice cozzy blanket. Used a few old firefighter turnout coats to help hold in the heat. Took 1/2 the time to warm up than normally would. I think I may be onto something here.

5 butts, 1 brisket, 2 WRB hams. 6 racks of spares later and tomorrow I have 4 turkeys, 5 turkey breasts and some chicken to do. I'll keep posting pics as long as you all can stand them. ;)

nice lookin start bill....good idea keepin those coats on the smoker and you don't have to worry about them catchin fire ;)

Finally got the Turkeys and Breasts into the brine. Used Nicks brine recipie. I'll have them on tomorrow.

john pen said:
Hey Bill..PBI or Nomex ? Enquiring minds want to know...

Nomex of course. These are some old coats that we cant use in service anymore. By the way, if you folks know any firefighters you may want to ask them if they have any old coats. The NFPA standards have changed over the years and they should have some old coats around.

Here are some more pics for your viewing pleasure. The hams are done and I have 6 racks of ribs on.

oct_97 said:
That looks wondeful. Are you cooking for a small army?
BTW, can't say I envy you for the cold.

Yes, and no. I started an email mailing list a few months ago. I email my customers and let them know that I will be smoking on such and such a date and they place there orders. Had so many orders this time that I had to split up two days. I wont complain. Its easy money.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="oct_97":6i0jqcp9]That looks wondeful. Are you cooking for a small army?
BTW, can't say I envy you for the cold.

Yes, and no. I started an email mailing list a few months ago. I email my customers and let them know that I will be smoking on such and such a date and they place there orders. Had so many orders this time that I had to split up two days. I wont complain. Its easy money.[/quote:6i0jqcp9]

And you get to have all the fun. I manage a good size hotel, we do email blasts from time to time, yes, they are very successful. For us the key is not to overdue them.

ZBQ said:
Ok, I know this is a dumb question, but, what is a WRB ham and what did you do with it before smoking and what temp did you take it to?

I want to make one!!!

All your grub looks awsome!! :D :D

Man I am HUNGRY!! :shock: :D

WRB is Wolfe Rub Bold. Only the best rub on the market, next to Wolfe Rub Original. The ham was "hickory smoked" from the store. All I did is cut off the rind and re-smoke it. I added the WRB before smoking. Came out great. Added more smoke to it.

Here are a few finished pics of the ribs and brisket.

Cliff H. said:
How do you advise people to reheat a whole rack of ribs?

Cliff, I vacuum seal ribs for my customers as well. I recommend they reheat them in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes or until hot, then remove from the bag. Or you can remove them from the bag first and wrap in foil and reheat in a 325* oven for approximately 30 minutes or until hot.

Back
Top Bottom