Turkey Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigwheel said:
Quite right old chap. That is why our hero Alton makes a shield for his breastes before he cooks it. The breast must be protected at all cost. If you stick a turky face up in the oven and cook it till the breast is 160 you are going to have raw thighs. That is why the pop timer is set to go off at 180 so you over cook the breast to get the thighs done. Now do you understand any of this part?
bigwheel

NO.....that makes no sense whatsoever, but I'm used to your replies so it's not surprising. I'm not gonna argue with you about it cause you're as harded headed as an ole billy goat.

FWIW, the pop up timer is set to go off at 180* because the general public is terrified of eating meat that's not "well done" and to cover the turkey producers ass!

Enjoy your picnic.......................do you cook that upside down until the top is fully cooked too? :roll:

Well hope you get to spend the most time available doing whutever it is you druther be doing.

bigwheel

That one was for Finney. I think we have finally got to the bottom of this dielemma. You dont mind eating old cold boody turkey thighs. Now is this hot or cold? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
That one was for Finney. I think we have finally got to the bottom of this dielemma. You dont mind eating old cold boody turkey thighs. Now is this hot or cold? Thanks.

bigwheel

I've never eaten a cold or a bloody thigh. Guess that's what happens when you cook your bird upside down! :D

Well wasnt you the big fan of frying turkeys? Dont they get fried upside down? All the one's I seen gets dropped in head down. How come you want to nag so much?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well wasnt you the big fan of frying turkeys? Dont they get fried upside down? All the one's I seen gets dropped in head down. How come you want to nag so much?

bigwheel

[smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

first time briner here

i heated my brine to disolve the sugar and salt and then placed it warm into the ziplock bag along with the turkey and into a cold fridge

will that hurt anything? :oops:

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

That'd be me and like Larry, you don't make any sense that's why I haven't thrown my dos centavos in.

And by the way, I think there are about 2 or 3 other people on here going to fry turkeys as well.

Enjoy your thanksgivin picnic, hope the warden can let you out in the yard today for a bit of fresh air and remember, don't ever drop the soap.

crazyhorse said:
first time briner here

i heated my brine to disolve the sugar and salt and then placed it warm into the ziplock bag along with the turkey and into a cold fridge

It could.......... It's gonna raise the temp of the raw bird up and into the danger zone (40*-140*). You don't want the bird to be in that zone for very long, that's when bad stuff happens. Put the bag into a cooler and fill it up with ice to get the temp down as quickly as possible.

Just a side note: You don't have to heat the brine in order to dissolve the sugar and salt. Just stir and stir and wait a few minutes, then skim your spoon on the bottom. If it comes up with granules on it, stir more. Once it comes up clean, everything is dissolved.

The only thing it will hurt is most likely make it real salty. Never add brine to anything cept it be ice cold..otherwise it will make the meat uptake too much salt.

bigwheel

crazyhorse said:
first time briner here

thanks for the answers guys

ill know the next time ;)

thats how we learn aint it

I know I should probably put this in the recipes section but I think it is more appropriate here.

This came from one of my friends in the US this afternoon.

She cannot cook to save her soul so someone had sent it to her.

No joke though she almost made it.

Here is a turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a
stuffing - imagine that. When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when the turkey is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY
6-7 lb. Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping sounds.

When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and the turkey flies across the room, it's done.

Back
Top Bottom