Turkey Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":34vt83ay][quote="Larry Wolfe":34vt83ay][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":34vt83ay][quote="Larry Wolfe":34vt83ay][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":34vt83ay]I think I know to answer to this but if you are frying a turkey should the pop up therm be taken outta the bird before it's fried?? Can't imagine the thing would melt.....

I would take it out regardless of how you cook it!!! All the turkeys/chickens you buy in the store with them already in place are set to go off at 180* in the breast, which is way over done. However you can buy pop up therm's that are set to go off at different temperatures.[/quote:34vt83ay]

Well, I plan to cook 3 1/2 min per lb. Got a couple of fresh 14lbers on order to pick up tomorrow. Cook at 350* and pull em at about 50 minutes, check the thigh with the trusty thermapen and pull at 170* let it rest till it hits 180*....does this sound accurate???[/quote:34vt83ay]

Sounds like a good plan, but it doesn't have to get to 180* to be safe to eat.[/quote:34vt83ay]

Ok, how about pullin it at 160*[/quote:34vt83ay]

Actually you could pull it at 160* and still be safe. I pull my turkeys by the breast temp, always between 160-165* and the thighs are typically several degrees higher around 170*. Then I tent with foil and let rest about an hour before slicing.[/quote:34vt83ay]

Ok, I'll pull at the breast 160* then let it rest about 45 minutes....by that time, the 2nd turkey might be about done....thank you!

What do you think about rubbin some of that wolfe rub original stuff underneath the skin??

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":8x7578ez][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":8x7578ez][quote="Larry Wolfe":8x7578ez][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":8x7578ez][quote="Larry Wolfe":8x7578ez][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":8x7578ez]I think I know to answer to this but if you are frying a turkey should the pop up therm be taken outta the bird before it's fried?? Can't imagine the thing would melt.....

I would take it out regardless of how you cook it!!! All the turkeys/chickens you buy in the store with them already in place are set to go off at 180* in the breast, which is way over done. However you can buy pop up therm's that are set to go off at different temperatures.[/quote:8x7578ez]

Well, I plan to cook 3 1/2 min per lb. Got a couple of fresh 14lbers on order to pick up tomorrow. Cook at 350* and pull em at about 50 minutes, check the thigh with the trusty thermapen and pull at 170* let it rest till it hits 180*....does this sound accurate???[/quote:8x7578ez]

Sounds like a good plan, but it doesn't have to get to 180* to be safe to eat.[/quote:8x7578ez]

Ok, how about pullin it at 160*[/quote:8x7578ez]

Actually you could pull it at 160* and still be safe. I pull my turkeys by the breast temp, always between 160-165* and the thighs are typically several degrees higher around 170*. Then I tent with foil and let rest about an hour before slicing.[/quote:8x7578ez]

Ok, I'll pull at the breast 160* then let it rest about 45 minutes....by that time, the 2nd turkey might be about done....thank you!

What do you think about rubbin some of that wolfe rub original stuff underneath the skin??[/quote:8x7578ez]

Under the skin will work, but do not put it on the outside or you'll have black bird and nasty oil from the sugar burning! You could however use the Wolfe Rub injection that is simple and delicious!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1lf80s50][quote="Larry Wolfe":1lf80s50][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1lf80s50][quote="Larry Wolfe":1lf80s50][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1lf80s50][quote="Larry Wolfe":1lf80s50][quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":1lf80s50]I think I know to answer to this but if you are frying a turkey should the pop up therm be taken outta the bird before it's fried?? Can't imagine the thing would melt.....

I would take it out regardless of how you cook it!!! All the turkeys/chickens you buy in the store with them already in place are set to go off at 180* in the breast, which is way over done. However you can buy pop up therm's that are set to go off at different temperatures.[/quote:1lf80s50]

Well, I plan to cook 3 1/2 min per lb. Got a couple of fresh 14lbers on order to pick up tomorrow. Cook at 350* and pull em at about 50 minutes, check the thigh with the trusty thermapen and pull at 170* let it rest till it hits 180*....does this sound accurate???[/quote:1lf80s50]

Sounds like a good plan, but it doesn't have to get to 180* to be safe to eat.[/quote:1lf80s50]

Ok, how about pullin it at 160*[/quote:1lf80s50]

Actually you could pull it at 160* and still be safe. I pull my turkeys by the breast temp, always between 160-165* and the thighs are typically several degrees higher around 170*. Then I tent with foil and let rest about an hour before slicing.[/quote:1lf80s50]

What do you think about rubbin some of that wolfe rub original stuff underneath the skin??[/quote:1lf80s50]

Under the skin will work, but do not put it on the outside or you'll have black bird and nasty oil from the sugar burning! You could however use
the Wolfe Rub injection that is simple and delicious![/quote:1lf80s50]

Yeah, I wasn't going to rub anything on the outside and I contemplated the injection.......I might do that with 1 of the birds.....thanks again. I gotta big weekend, turkeys on thursday, shoulder on friday, ravioli's on saturday........ :shock:

Well yall need to knock off this measuring the breastes temps to determine the doneness of the birds. Thigh joint where it hooks up to the bird gets done last...that is the part you got to worry about. Somebody have been watching Alton Brown and listening to dumb yankees too much.

bigwheel

Best I could come up with was a 16 lb Honey Suckle with 3% self basting broth added. 200mg sodium. It will have to work. The organic birds were way to high for my family. :shock:

Ahhh man..them Honey Suckle Whites is rich folks food up around Whiskeyta Falls. The po folks got Butterballs or some such thing. That will make you and the family very happy on Thanksgiving. Now you prob gonna have to prop it up on the sides to keep it from rolling over onto its side. Them genetically alterered creatures are built sorta wierd. They got such puffy breastes it hard to keep em laying face down if you get my drift. It sort of a Dolly Parton type deal. You put em face down they roll over due to gravity or whutever. Put a fat kielbasa under both wings then eat and replace as required till the turkey gets done. Think I seen that trick performed right on this forum. Very smart folks hang out over here.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well yall need to knock off this measuring the breastes temps to determine the doneness of the birds. Thigh joint where it hooks up to the bird gets done last...that is the part you got to worry about. Somebody have been watching Alton Brown and listening to dumb yankees too much.

bigwheel

I beg to differ Wheeler. You point is valid only if you plan to pull the turkey as you stated in your previous post "at 180*". At which point the breast IMO will be overcooked and dry. This is along with your "upside down" method of cooking a turkey is probably why your wife the "Warden" prefers YOU cook a picnic, they're much harder to mess up, thus making it easier for YOU.

Yeah for some reason, I do value Alton Browns opinion and expertise much more than yours.

Happy Holiday to you and yours Mr. Wheel.

Respectfully,
Dumb Yankee

bigwheel said:
They got such puffy breastes it hard to keep em laying face down if you get my drift. It sort of a Dolly Parton type deal. You put em face down they roll over due to gravity or whutever. Put a fat kielbasa under both wings then eat and replace as required till the turkey gets done. Think I seen that trick performed right on this forum. Very smart folks hang out over here.

bigwheel

You could avoid this problem by cooking the turkey the right way, with the breast up!! [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

I put the bird in the brine around 7am this morning! It's supposed to be nasty as all get out tomorrow morning, right when I plan to put it on.

I also just made my cranberry relish, pretty good now, but should be better tomorrow.

Anyone see any problem with leaving in and making use of the metal truss?

Got mine in the brine about 8:00 this morning. I was concerned that 5 quarts of fluid would not be enough to cover the 16lb bird but it was just enough with a big bowl sitting on top.

PS The bucket was complements of my local Western Sizzlin whom I called and the gladly gave me a 5 gal pickle bucket for free w/lid. 8)

Cliff H. said:
Anyone see any problem with leaving in and making use of the metal truss?

I normally remove them before brining, and then replace before the bird goes on the cooker. I just worry about the metal and the salt with my brine. It looks like you're doing a citrus type brine, not sure how or if the acid and salt will effect them. They'll more than likely be fine left in.

If you decide to take the truss out, all you do is reach into the cavity and squeeze the pieces of metal together and it will come right out.

BTW, the turkey looks great already!

Brian
Aluminum pot is reactive, need to go stainless, glass or food safe plastic.
To get the thigh joint area done, if you dislocate it before cooking and don't tie it back up it finishes quicker.
Jim

I am going to do mine like the chickens. I have a big ol can of Fosters and going to use a bit of rub on her and white oak in the fire barrel.
AAAAAAAAAAAANNND WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Hope yall have a VERY Happy Thanksgiving. Be safe and have fun! ;)

brian j said:
has anyone ever brined in aluminum fry pot? i'm using mine and just found out its reactive. there's no acid in the brine so i'm hoping i'm ok. otherwise i really f$#cked up. :oops:

Brian,
Pour the brine and turkey into a clean cooler. You can fill zip lok bags with ice and put them in the cooler to keep cold. Or you could just line the aluminum pan with a clean trash bag and pour the turkey and brine back into it. That would solve your immediate problem.

brian j said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":39h3mmtk]Man I feel so lonely. I'm not cooking this year, I'm going to my brother-in-laws for Thanksgiving. I hope all your birds come out great!
i'm sorry to hear that. thanksgiving is like the super bowl of cooking. you should have volunteed to bring the turkey or something. my family doesn't even ask who's cooking thanksgiving and chrismas anymore. :LOL:[/quote:39h3mmtk]

Every year they offer and I always step up to the plate. My brother-in-laws wife always does this organic stuff and I don't like the taste of the stuff she cooks. (I think she throws tofu in to make me sick). Next year they are moving to NC and this will be their last Thanksgiving here so I gave in. Good news though, we're going to my brothers first and he's deep frying a bird and I'll grab a little bite there before we go. We're also bring some of my homemade kilbasa so at least I'll have something to eat. If it tastes like $hit, I have a couple of breats that I'll smoke this weekend!

Quite right old chap. That is why our hero Alton makes a shield for his breastes before he cooks it. The breast must be protected at all cost. If you stick a turky face up in the oven and cook it till the breast is 160 you are going to have raw thighs. That is why the pop timer is set to go off at 180 so you over cook the breast to get the thighs done. Now do you understand any of this part?

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

I beg to differ Wheeler. You point is valid only if you plan to pull the turkey as you stated in your previous post "at 180*". At which point the breast IMO will be overcooked and dry. This is along with your "upside down" method of cooking a turkey is probably why your wife the "Warden" prefers YOU cook a picnic, they're much harder to mess up, thus making it easier for YOU.

Yeah for some reason, I do value Alton Browns opinion and expertise much more than yours.

Happy Holiday to you and yours Mr. Wheel.

Respectfully,
Dumb Yankee

Back
Top Bottom