My First Bread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
I have a bread machine but could never get my bread to turn out very well. Yesterday I attempted to make my first ever homemade bread. It turned out very well and I'm so pleased with it that I intend to make more often. It's Oatmeal bread.

img_70989_0_3ac440bd9c594ef6513480cf19b80b5a.jpg

img_70989_1_93d1f2c634bcd049603e5f41dac45e5e.jpg

Wow Allie that looked real good! Bet some nice smoked turkey would have been great on it!

Larry, looking at your turkey sandwiches, I was thinking the same thing! It's got that kind of sweet, nutty whole wheat taste and would make an awesome turkey sandwich with a bit of spicy brown mustard.

I have a feeling I'll be making more bread for Thanksgiving! LOL

Maybe make a nice herb filled bread, let it get stale and then make stuffing out of it. That way it would be real homemade stuffing.

I was thinking of doing that. My mom sent me a recipe for my grandmother's stuffing......uses leftover biscuits and cornbread so I really, really want to try that one since I haven't been "home" for Thanksgiving in 8 years. lol Les doesn't care for it so maybe when I make my next batch of bread, I'll do an herb bread and use it to make him some stuffing as well. lol

I love my bread machine. But that looks so good I may have to give that a try. How about posting the recipie?

Here's the recipe I used. It was written by a friend of mine.

Oatmeal Bread

1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons margarine
Pour 2 cups boiling water over the above. Stir to combine.

Dissolve: 1 pkg (1 T) dry yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. (Might want to wait a bit, so yeast won't be ready too soon) When batter is cooled to lukewarm add yeast. Stir in 5 cups of white flour.

Knead dough. Put in greased bowl, cover w/ lid. Let rise until double in bulk or longer... Punch down and shape into loaves. Place in greased loaf pans (makes 2 loaves) and let rise until double. Bake in a 350* oven 30-40 minutes. (I did 35 minutes and it was just right). I take a cube of margarine and run it over the loaves of bread when done. Remove from pan on to rack and cover w/ a towel. I put mine on their sides... LOL I do it how I learned at home.

wittdog said:
Bread looks great..want to post the stuffing recipe?

I'll post it on the Appetizers and Sides board! Now the only one I have is the one for cornbread dressing......nothing like bread cube stuffing!

Oh, take the extra time to do it by hand! The kneading was so therapuetic and punching the dough down, really takes out some stresses!

I don't know that I'll even use the machine again. In fact, I told Les last night that we could sell it. lol He didn't like that idea since I begged for 6 months before he gave it to me for Christmas year before last.

looks good Allie, I do oatmeal bread in my bread machine

I have 4 kids at home, 3 teens ... we use our bread machine every day, sometimes for 2 loaves ... I haven't priced it out but I'd guess it's less than $0.25/loaf; quality ingrediants and no preservatives. The things pay for themselves many times over, I love my bread machine. We use the timer function and wake up to a fresh loaf of bread every day.

allie said:
I don't know that I'll even use the machine again.
Good idea if only for aesthetic reasons. Your homemade loaves look so much more inviting than the misshapen bread our machine makes. With a hole where the kneading paddle was. :(

--John 8)

Back
Top Bottom