BBQ Beef Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
*original recipe from some 'Best of Bridge' cookbook, ... original name is 'Hamburger Soup'. Changes: pulled beef instead of ground beef, spice adjustment, cook time.

1.5 lbs pulled BBQ beef, chopped
1 med onion, diced small
28oz can diced tomatoes
2C water
3 cans Beef Consomme**
1 can Tomatoe soup
4 Carrots diced/shredded fine
3 Celery stalks diced fine (add some minced celery leaves as well)
1 tsp Thyme
Coarse gr pepper to taste
1/2C pot barley
2-4 whole bay leaves

Brown onions in 1 TBSP oil, add remaining ingrediants except for beef. Simmer on low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Add beef, remove from heat (if the pulled meat simmers too long it falls apart into little strings of meat). Remove bay leaves before serving.

**a bit hard to describe but other 50/50 beef broth can be subbed at equal volume with correct amount of water

I didn't cook mine that long, maybe an hour or so. I cooked the barley in beef broth maybe 15 minutes before it was done I added celery, carrots, mushrooms. Then when everything was cooked up I threw the chuckie in then and cooked an additional 15 minutes. I didn't add any spices at all, the chuckie had all the spices I needed!

brian j said:
thanks. looks good. how is consomme different that regular old beef broth?
I always wondered that too ... lol

I just made a triple batch this weekend with 5 lbs lean gr beef (fried, drained). I didn't have enough cans of Campbell's Consomme so I used an equal voume of liquid beef boullion at double strength (2 TBSP per cup of water instead of 1 as per directions since this is the strength of the consomme)

Nick is right it only really needs an hour or two to say cook the barley, the chuck meat could be thrown in at the end, but the taste improves with longer cooking and the bay leaf flavor especially ... I find it's even better the next day

Chuckwagoncook said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Griff said:
Why is it that so many things taste better the next day?

Griff

The flavors all get a chance to meld together.

What the heck is meld?

meld
4 entries found for meld.
To select an entry, click on it.
meld[1,verb]meld[2,noun]meld[3,verb]meld[4,noun]

Main Entry: 3meld
Function: verb
Etymology: blend of melt and weld
: MERGE, BLEND

Unity said:
I think it's something you do in pinochle.
:oops: Wrong card game. :oops:

Wikipedia said:
Canasta is a matching card game in which the object is to create melds of cards of the same rank and then go out by playing or discarding all the cards in your hand.

The distinctive feature of Canasta, as opposed to other Rummy games, is that making a seven-card meld, called a canasta, gives the player a huge bonus, and the number of canastas made usually decides the game. Another distinctive feature is that in Canasta, when a player picks up cards from the discard pile, the player picks up the entire pile, as opposed to only the top card in most other Rummy games.
--John 8)

Back
Top Bottom