WSM Piedmont Water Pan Mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Today I assembled the WSM Piedmont Water Pan Mod from the TVWB.

This is two Brinkmann Charcoal Pans, joined by 3 1/4 x 20 stainless steel machine screws, with 2 1/4 x 20 stainless steel nuts in between as spacers, then secured under the bottom pan with a stainless steel wing nut. This produces a 1/2" air space between the two pans

The pan in the linked photo has a 3/4" copper tubing spacer, however, it was discovered that 3/4" space is too big if using the lower cooking grate.

What this accomplishes, according to members over at TVWB, is an "air space heat sink" which allows you to foil the top pan and not have to add water or sand to either, and gives you the ability to maintain temps just as if you were using water or sand. Further the drippings into the top pan will not burn or cause any foul odors.

This mod has been tested by several folks at TVWB and found to work as advertised. I'll be using this set-up on my next cook and report back the results. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them or you can go to the Virtual Weber Bullet web site and look under WSM Mods and click the thread entitled Piedmont Pan.

Finney said:
What I've never figured out is why no one is using the WSM's pan as the inside one? You would have more of an air gap between the pans that way. I'm sure I saw it done a long time ago.

Chris, I think there's a guy over on TVWB that did just that, he bolted through the WSM pan and into the flange of the Brinkmann pan, creating a larger air space. I didn't set my WSM pan inside the Brinkmann pan so I can't speak to the fit of the two pans...I'll try that tomorrow.

brian j said:
how can air act like a heat sink? one of the advantage to water or sand is that it stays warm, thereby stablizing internal temp of the smoker.

Hey, I'm not a scientist, I'm just reporting what has been related on another forum and posting the mod. [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

I don't know if air acts as a heat sink or not, or if the bottom pan acts as a heat shield, but it appears to work, I'll let you know my results in a couple days.

It's more of a heat deflector / insulation thing. The bottom pan acts as the heat deflector and the gap between the two pans is the insulation area. What it is really doing is catching the drippings so that they don't fall on the coals (which I like depending what and/or how much I'm cooking). The space between the two pans makes it where the upper pan is just a little cooler so as not to burn the drippings. You might still want to add some oil from the kitchen to the upper pan before your cook to make sure your drippings don't burn. It's not rocket science or anything that hasn't been done before somewhere.

brian j said:
[quote="Bruce B":1khhgwwv]I don't know if air acts as a heat sink or not, or if the bottom pan acts as a heat shield, but it appears to work, I'll let you know my results in a couple days.
thanks. looking forward to the results. do you normally cook w/out water in the pan? i've been really happy using sand.[/quote:1khhgwwv]

I know you were asking Bruce but I cook with water, sand, balled aluminum foil, empty pan.... no pan. Depends what I'm doing and what I want to happen during the cook.

brian j said:
[quote="Bruce B":16tl58ip]I don't know if air acts as a heat sink or not, or if the bottom pan acts as a heat shield, but it appears to work, I'll let you know my results in a couple days.
thanks. looking forward to the results. do you normally cook w/out water in the pan? i've been really happy using sand.[/quote:16tl58ip]

Nope, I usually use sand, have been for probably two years now. Just going to try it and see how it goes. Always willing to try something new. Like that Blue Room thing. :LOL: :LOL:

Actually, it Norse...or so they tell me. Great Great Gramps was found head first in a well so we'll never know.

texanx5 said:
So how is this mod working? I got a WSM a few days back and it seems to hog water and it appears the pan is actually setting on the charcoal I would have thought it would catch up higher but doesn't appear to or I put too much charcoal in. I see several notes to sand is that typically used in lue of water on these units? :?

Are you using the original Weber pan that came with the unit? If so, and your pan looks like it is on the charcoal...you've got way too much charcoal in there.

You should fill the charcoal ring just to the top of the ring.

You can use sand instead of water; fill your pan level about 1/2 to 2/3 full of play sand, then foil over the sand following the level of the sand and leaving a depression on top to catch the drippings. You must control your temps on the way up, however, start closing down vents to 50% when your temp starts reaching 200º. Then down even more the closer it gets to 215/220; it should settle in somewhere in the ideal 225-250 range.

Why can't you just open your access door and toss them in on top of the coals, I add charcoal and wood chunks like that all the time.

Back
Top Bottom