Acorn Squash with Asiago and Sage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
I had to look up asiago. :roll:

Wikipedia said:
... Fresh Asiago cheese is tender and can be used in the preparation of sandwiches and panini or as a table cheese. Aged Asiago cheese can be used for grating and as a table cheese. The aged Asiago cheese can be granular, like Parmesan or aged Gouda, and can feature a bit of a crunch due to a buildup of Tyrosin (tee-row-seen), an amino acid found in milk that crystallizes over time in aged cheeses. The more Tyrosin found in milk the higher quality the milk and a considerable amount has to be present for it to crystalize; therefore a crystalin texture is considered a sign of high quality in aged cheese. Aged Asiago cheese features a very concentrated, complex variety of flavors ranging from the fruity, to the nutty, to the pungent. Some wheels can even taste a little like toasted bread.

An American-made asiago is also available, usually made in Wisconsin, which tastes completely different from the original Asiago. Domestic Asiago typically have pleasant butterscotch undertones that intensify when aged. Not as subtle yet good for snacking with pepperoni. If one is to enjoy shaved Prosciutto, Imported Asiago is considered by many the best way to go.
--John 8)

Unity said:
I had to look up asiago. :roll:

Wikipedia said:
... Fresh Asiago cheese is tender and can be used in the preparation of sandwiches and panini or as a table cheese. Aged Asiago cheese can be used for grating and as a table cheese. The aged Asiago cheese can be granular, like Parmesan or aged Gouda, and can feature a bit of a crunch due to a buildup of Tyrosin (tee-row-seen), an amino acid found in milk that crystallizes over time in aged cheeses. The more Tyrosin found in milk the higher quality the milk and a considerable amount has to be present for it to crystalize; therefore a crystalin texture is considered a sign of high quality in aged cheese. Aged Asiago cheese features a very concentrated, complex variety of flavors ranging from the fruity, to the nutty, to the pungent. Some wheels can even taste a little like toasted bread.

An American-made asiago is also available, usually made in Wisconsin, which tastes completely different from the original Asiago. Domestic Asiago typically have pleasant butterscotch undertones that intensify when aged. Not as subtle yet good for snacking with pepperoni. If one is to enjoy shaved Prosciutto, Imported Asiago is considered by many the best way to go.
--John 8)
I'm no cheese expert but I have tried Asiago (whatever the type is I could get here) and I enjoyed it. I remember buying it and Romano and Parmesean for a 3 cheese blend for ceaser salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom