Battle of the Rubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I should have made this post two weeks ago but work has been crazy. It was a regular battle of the rubs -- two racks Finney #2 and two racks Original Wolfe. I didn't glaze either because I wanted to be sure I was tasting the rub and not the sauce. We had another couple over and it was a blind taste test for everyone but me. I know this sounds chickenshit but it was a 2 to 2 tie. My wife and I who like heat preferred Finney #2, my friends found it too spicy and preferred Wolfe. I'd like to do a taste comparison with Finney #2 and Bold Wolfe. I think you have to try 'em side by side because I don't trust my memory on recalling any subtlety in tastes. Larry, I'll be PMing you with an order for some more Bold. It's hard to tell from just one taste test.

Oh yeah here's some bonus pics on an unrelated cook. This is a six pound Griff loaf last weekend.

The Griff loaf was when my bro-in-law was in town visiting with his family. He brought me some of the first king crab of this season. Scored some prime filets at the butcher shop. Unfortunately we didn't stop to take finished pics.

Griff

Hey Griff, when you do the blind taste test, do your friends think your a little nuts like mine do? I usually have one of my kids invite some of their friends over when I do it. They all love to come but they look at me like I'm crazy :shock:

Nice looking loaf there I have not tried that on a grill yet but I think I will at the next grilling. All the food looked great , gonna have to get me some of that Bold Wolfe Rub for sure I am down to one bottle of the original.

I think its tome to take a trip to the Griffaroasa...Awesome eats up there...

Griff, you guys get deals on crab ?

Nick Prochilo said:
Hey Griff, when you do the blind taste test, do your friends think your a little nuts like mine do? I usually have one of my kids invite some of their friends over when I do it. They all love to come but they look at me like I'm crazy :shock:

It wasn't a problem. My friends know I'm crazy.

Griff

john pen said:

Kinda. My brother-in-law lives about 500 miles from Anchorage in King Cove, a fishing town with a big processing plant that takes deliveries from the Bering Sea fleet (the Deadliest Catch type boats). He can get the crab in 40# boxes direct from the processor and then if he is flying to Anchorage for some reason and has less than two pieces of luggage, brings me a box that I split with some friends. It usually runs about $9/lb for the big honking Bering Sea red crab. The king crab season opened on Oct. 15 but the fleet is still tied to dock over a price dispute with the processors. The crab in the pic was from a test sample that the Dept. of Fish and Game did two weeks ago. I'm not sure how my BIL got some because he just gave it to me. The price was right and I didn't ask.

Griff

Griff said:
john pen said:

Kinda. My brother-in-law lives about 500 miles from Anchorage in King Cove, a fishing town with a big processing plant that takes deliveries from the Bering Sea fleet (the Deadliest Catch type boats). He can get the crab in 40# boxes direct from the processor and then if he is flying to Anchorage for some reason and has less than two pieces of luggage, brings me a box that I split with some friends. It usually runs about $9/lb for the big honking Bering Sea red crab. The king crab season opened on Oct. 15 but the fleet is still tied to dock over a price dispute with the processors. The crab in the pic was from a test sample that the Dept. of Fish and Game did two weeks ago. I'm not sure how my BIL got some because he just gave it to me. The price was right and I didn't ask.

Griff

$9 per pound is an excellent price. It's almost all meat, them shells weigh nothing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom