Cliff's Family Asparagus Casserole Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I only cook this during the holidays. I have to search for it every year. I am posting it here for two reasons.

I will always know where it is.

If you like asparagus then you will love this old family recipe.

2 cans asparagus "drained"

1 large can Lesuer English Peas "do not drain"

1 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup

1 can water chestnuts

1 stick oleo " I use Country Crock"

4 slices white bread. Trim off edges and cut into strips "3 strips per slice"

1/2 lb shreaded cheese "2 cups"

Grease a 9x13 dish. Layer asparagus over the bottom of the dish. Mix peas and mushroom soup and pour over asparagus. Layer water chestnuts over mixture. Top with cheese.

Dredge strips of bread on both sides in melted butter. Lay bread on top of cheese and bake at 350 deg for 40 min.

Green Hornet said:
This sounds good. Gotta look for those "English Peas" though. Not sure if I can get em here. I will look for them next trip to the grocery.

GH,
I suppose any brand will do. It's just peas and water. I honestly don't know why the recipe was written that way but I never questioned it. Lesuer cans asparagus also.

If you don't find that brand then you just won't get the FULL effect of the family recipe. :LOL:

Lesuer peas are the best to me when using in a recipe. There are a lot of different brands of early peas in our grocery stores and plain ole green peas will do the job in a pinch.

The recipe looks really good! I'll have to try it!

My grandmother always makes an asparagus casserole that has saltine crackers in it. Thanks for reminding me I want that recipe! lol

Back
Top Bottom