Hungarian Goulash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
from Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker cookbook

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, sliced
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) ready to serve beef broth
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. caraway seed, if desired
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
8 cups hot cooked noodles, for serving

1. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over med. high heat. Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Place beef and onion in a 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.

2. Mix broth, tomato paste, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, caraway seeds, and pepper; stir into beef mixture.

3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours until beef is tender.

4. Mix water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 minutes.

5. Serve goulash over noodles.

I use egg noodles and also sometimes top serving with a dollop of sour cream. If you don't have the fresh garlic, substitute 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.

Hey ya know I got a nice bag of mock chuck tender cubes which been in the freezer since last fall. Was obviously destined for some high dollar chili contest which got itself derailed somehow....but I will put it to use on this deal. Thanks so much. Course..them grand chillins will not eat onywans..so I figger that is why the Lord gave us onywan powder. Right?

bigwheel

I have the same problem with my son. The funny thing with him is that he'll eat it if he doesn't see it. lol He told me not too long ago that I need to always put onions in my baked beans and bbq sauce because they make it really good. lol He just started this about a year ago so not sure why the sudden dislike. Onions and peppers are the only thing he complains about. I just let him pick them out when I make this. lol I do not cook differently just because he's decided he doesn't like them. He can eat around them.

Same set of circumstances with about all my chillins. They like onyawns just fine as long as they dont know they are in there. Glad you reminded me about this cuz I gotta set that mock chuck out to thaw. Took a look at it last night and realized it had been turned to chili grind. Ah well guess it make it easier to chew huh?

bigwheel

allie said:
I have the same problem with my son. The funny thing with him is that he'll eat it if he doesn't see it. lol He told me not too long ago that I need to always put onions in my baked beans and bbq sauce because they make it really good. lol He just started this about a year ago so not sure why the sudden dislike. Onions and peppers are the only thing he complains about. I just let him pick them out when I make this. lol I do not cook differently just because he's decided he doesn't like them. He can eat around them.

Well I first became acquainted with that particular cut when I noticed a lot of the CASI recipes called for it on comp chili..so naturally I had to run go buy some:) Know it comes from the chuck section of the cow..and when it gets presented at the wholesale level it comes in the form of small little torpedo shaped roasts weighing about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs each and is packed about 5 or 6 in the cryo. They covered with silver skin sorta like Bambi meat and got some fat deposits and a streak of gristle which runs about half way down the long axis on the big end and right in the middle. It takes bit of manpower and expertise to get em cleaned up and make em fittin. In fact I got to to teach the butchers how to do it occasionally since I by nature a fat lazy boy who dont like to do it myself. At any rate once it gets skinned and shucked or whutever..it a very flavor and low fat chunk of cow. Not quite as lean as round but will blow round plumb out of the tub flavorwise. They supposedly calls it Mock Tender cuz its the po man's imitation version of Tenderloin. It usually will skeer the heck out of 4 bucks a pound at Tom Thumb or Krogers. Sometimes you can get it at Albertsons for 3 bucks a pound. I just turned mine into Eyetalian Meatballs since I didnt have no egg noodles for goulash...sorry Allie..I do the goulash next time. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Chuckwagoncook said:
bigwheel,

I have a question for you, what is Mock chuck tender cubes? Must be a chili thing, cause I think I remember someone else talking of them for chili? Just curious, I like to make chili but have never thought of competing, there is a chili cookopff coming up in a few weeks that I had thought about but I think I am going to be out of town then.

Hey Chuckwagon, if you do a google on "mock tender" you'll get about 10 pages of info that pops up.

I'll forgive ya this time Uncle BW but next time you better have some egg noodles. I have served it over white rice and it was ok but we like the egg noodles a lot better. Other types of pasta might work as well. I guess it's one of those things where personal preference comes into play.

Well really..I was bound and determined to order the warden to go buy some noodles..even considered making scratch noodles but the flour supply was purty low...then I got to thinking that dang meat was ground up already and prob just wouldnt have been the same as the cubes. I wanted to stick to the true spirit of the goulash recipe and use cubes. I do it next time outta the chute. Got the recipe hid in a real safe spot.

bigwheel

allie said:
I'll forgive ya this time Uncle BW but next time you better have some egg noodles. I have served it over white rice and it was ok but we like the egg noodles a lot better. Other types of pasta might work as well. I guess it's one of those things where personal preference comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom