Packed in Cancer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Dioxin Carcinogens causes cancer. Especially breast cancer.
Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies.

Studies show that Dioxins release from plastics when heated or cooled.

Styrofaom and plastic containers when heated in the microwave or frozen in the freezer release dioxins.

This applies mostly but not limited to the foods that contain fat. The combination of fat, high heat or extreme cold and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body immediately.

Although the new e-mail flooding cyberspace doesn't hold the same truth, The "don't freeze your water bottles"... an easy rule is if the plastic easily scratches or marks by your finger nail...... it will release dioxins. Water bottles won't.

So such things as TV dinners, instant snacks and soups, etc. should be removed from the container and heated in something else.

Remember when some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

One of the worst things happening right now is the heating of formulas and milks for infants in microwaves..... if it scratches or marks with a fingernail drag....TOSS IT OUT!!!!!!!!!! or heat the formula or milk in a glass container and then put it in that bottle or sippie cup!

Pass this information to anyone you know with infants or small children........PLEASE

I seen this and the carbon dioxide in the meat packing on our local Channel 9 news station this morning and have done several searches on Google etc.. about both subjects during the day today.... All the searches I did came back confirming what they stated on this mornings news.

As for exact websites I read from and articles read.....geesh not sure.... read so many, but I'm sure they are all still available to find.

I just quickly looked and this refference was on the first website to pop up...
I can look for more if you want me to.

Dr. Jerrold Heindel (grants for dioxin research)
Address:

NIEHS
MD EC-03
P.O. Box 12233
Research Triangle Park (RTP), N.C. 27709 USA

Telephone: (919) 541-0781 (USA)

But I find the backing and base facts derived for the article that Unity finds at the end of the article..... including but not limited to a Seventh Grade little girls science experiment, along with 2 newspaper columnists opinion articles in their newspapers.

I try to grasp Unity's point with his link he posted.... but the article starts by bashing the fact someone heard the issues on their local news channel stated by NOT a Dr. but someone with ONLY medical background....... then uses journalists opinion articles and a seventh grade science project as their backing to try to prove someone else wrong......

Below are their sources

Sources :
Burros, Marian. "Good Health Habits Can Reduce Risks of Hazards in Food."
The New York Times. 9 May 1990 (p. C1).

Hahn, Jon. "A Bad Rap for Microwaving Food?"
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer. 8 January 2002 (p. E2).

Lehourites, Chris. "Grade 7 Girl's Radiant Idea Leads to Top Science Prize."
The Toronto Star. 21 May 2000.

Smokey_Joe said:
I try to grasp Unity's point
1. Don't assume that an alarming message you got in an email is true.
2. Do some research before you pass it on.
3. Make up your own mind.

--John 8)
(Almost anything that says "send this to everyone you know" is fake.)

1. I didn't assume anything till I did some research on it.

2. I did lots of research Unity before posting it & passing it on......lots....... and the only "debunking" of what I was reading was articles like your link and articles from the companies that produce the items in question.

3. I think I finally made up my own mind when I read about warming/heating items in plastic for infants... society can slowly kill me & you with what they want, we're adults, and as you say , we can make up our own minds. Infants and children can't, I thought posting it was a "good thing" just incase there is validity to it and it saves even one child from suffering something totally avoidable.

Unity I deeply apologize if you and I disagree on this and I won't post about it anymore to upset you any further, but ALL of what I read seemed quite serious and backed by more then 7th grade science experiments.......sorry to all if I irritated anyone else with this subject.

this wasn't a "send it to everyone e-mail"...it was the morning news on TV
and my apologies again for not bookmarking....

SJ

I know you'll have to have the last word no matter what Unity...so no fear......you can have it.

(Don't assume your opinion is gospel, unless God himself tells you it is,but spread your opinion so many may form their own)

My experience is that even when your sources are limited to peer reviewed serious professional journals, you can find sources to support most any proposition, AND the contrary proposition.

Griff

Griff said:
My experience is that even when your sources are limited to peer reviewed serious professional journals, you can find sources to support most any proposition, AND the contrary proposition.

Griff
My first question when any type of research is discussed is who provided the funding for said research? ;)

wittdog said:
Griff said:

Griff
My first question when any type of research is discussed is who provided the funding for said research? ;)

BINGO!

Until it is mentioned on the Howard Stern Show I won't change a thing...I have heated bottles in the microwave for all my kids and they never got cancer! :shock: :!: :D ;)

Greg Rempe said:
Until it is mentioned on the Howard Stern Show I won't change a thing...I have heated bottles in the microwave for all my kids and they never got cancer! :shock: :!: :D ;)

There is no telling WHAT Howard Stern heats in the microwave.

Greg Rempe said:

How old are your kids now? Is that what may be the cause of cancer later in their years???

I guess if scientists had all the answers of who,how,why,where,when etc... for cancer...there would be a vaccine already.

I've done the sippie cup in the micro too....... but won't ever again. Just the chance isn't worth the convenience to me now that I know it's even a possibility.

What grade of plastics are we talking about.....there are different grades of plastics....I would bet that food grade plastics would be ok.

I don't know exact grades and where the line is,...but what I have read up on so far, and how it was explained on the TV news.... a safe rule of thumb...if you can EASILY scratch or mark it with your fingernail.... it's not safe in heating or freezing situations.

Some saran/freezer wraps even say not for use in microwave....that is why...not that it melts into your food....because it won't

Even the packages on some drinking straws have the same warning about using in HOT foods.... obviously they don't melt into your drink either..it's the possibility of the dioxins they release.

I guess it's just one of them things that we all sweep under the rug every day because we just "don't want to know"...or believe.

Well, here's a thought if heating plastic was the cause of cancer then why would so many people have died of this disease before the use of plastics became the norm?

I don't mean to sound like a smart&$$ but everything we eat, drink, or touch can cause cancer if you listen to all the studies! I just choose to enjoy life and what it has to offer......I'm going to die sooner or later anyway!

allie said:
Well, here's a thought if heating plastic was the cause of cancer then why would so many people have died of this disease before the use of plastics became the norm?

I don't mean to sound like a smart&$$ but everything we eat, drink, or touch can cause cancer if you listen to all the studies! I just choose to enjoy life and what it has to offer......I'm going to die sooner or later anyway!

I'm guessing the rise in cancer rates is maybe what spawned most of these studies...

Is this what's killing everyone with cancer.... I surely doubt it. My grandfather died of cancer...... was it plastic heating that killed him?....surely not. It was the used waste oil & bi-products from a local machine shop type factory that one of the neighbors used to spread up and down their dirt road every other day to keep the dust down. It all leached into their dug wells and 32 of the 50 residents on that street have all contracted cancer through the years and died from it.

So yes, maybe I do have a biased desire to know about anything that causes or may cause cancer. It's when I seen the baby bottle and sippie cup part of the article, that made me want to pass the information I seen and heard along.

Just something I thought I'd share...I wasn't asking you to stop using plastics..... that's your decision to make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom