We got a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
Since the check should clear tonight, I can officially post pictures of our new to us boat now. We've taken her out a few times and were in her once or twice before she was ours. (I wish my grass looked like that!!) She is a 1987 Glastron SX-19. Here are some pictures we took of her before we brought her home. Hubby has since washed and waxed her, but the last trip to the lake kind of did away with a lot of that. Only trouble is that she bogs down the Ranger a bit more than we would like. We have to borrow a vehicle to tow our travel trailer - I guess we will just have to make two trips when we go to the lake if we want to take the boat. The Ranger pulls the smoker just fine though, so it is in no danger of getting left out!

img_51022_0_144e6faf9e25744b22fe4629bfcedb7a.jpg

img_51022_1_78222dd9340c3fa431ed5f78ab84b479.jpg

img_51022_2_17b1abecc1c9b88e5e7141c82fc2e2ce.jpg

img_51022_3_5b363fa78e46d9fbdf6d313fb329c625.jpg

img_51022_4_86c11e9f7ad623198d877dbf40d240f8.jpg

Nice looking boat. We're looking to get one this summer or next. :(

My husband likes it more than I do. I just like to ride around in boats - I don't get in lake water. My husband is the water sports fanatic. That translates into no, I don't get to drink beer while someone drives me around. Instead, I have to drive the boat. Yeah, I'm not that familiar with driving boats. I tend to panick and feel like we are going to flip. I'm working on it though. I pulled him around on the knee board a couple of times a few weekends ago and he said I did well. Hopefully it will just get better. Unfortunately, a 43 year old lady died at the lake we go to on Saturday. Lake Proctor - very small. Rumors are that she fell of a jet ski and broke her kneck. Doesn't do much for making me feel comfortable on the boat.

The Joker said:
Nice looking boat. We're looking to get one this summer or next. :(

We can't really afford it, but hubby was dead set on it. He changed jobs this month and cashed out his 401K instead of rolling it over. There wasn't that much in it and he is only 28. He said he would rather have a bit of fun now than save for a time in his life he might not even make it to.

His parents agree, so I was outnumbered. I hate being the bad guy on money matters, but I do all the finances, so I get it slapped in my face everyday.

The 401K payment will pay for the boat and pay off a credit card bill, but hubby is already pissed because I told him he couldn't get a new wakeboard. We just bought a new kneeboard and one of those huge tubes, we don't need anymore right now!

You go girl !! :grin: BTW, you'll really have to screw up to flip or get thrown out of that boat while you're at the wheel. You'll do fine! :(

now just go get a spare prop and prop wrench....rebuilt will be a good spare, just hate to be out there without one. lost my forst prop in 26' of water, someone had kindly run a steel cable just far enough under the surface not to see....

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. I don't think it will be so bad if we can get someone else out there with us. Our extra person didn't show, so it was just the two of us. I was trying to concentrate on driving the boat and on watching him in the mirror. He likes to swing way out to the sides, so he goes out of frame often. It's just stressful. I think it will be better when I have a wingman.

The second day we had the boat out, a friend showed up with his new $41K Four Winns Wakeboard boat and took us for a ride. He was cruising this tiny, shallow lake at over 50 mph. Scared the crap out of me. I was very glad to get back on dry land. After that, though, I was better able to handle 20 mph on our boat.

BTW - I just noticed that you can see a boxer in the second picture down. That is our boxer's daddy. We are buying the boat from the breeders we got Maddox from. They are good people.

sounds like a healthy respect more than fear, I bet you will be great. My wife dreaded getting behind the wheel the first few times, then the only place she wanted me to drive was in the no wake zone

I finally sold my 19' bass boat last year. I used that money to buy my custom Gator Pit - The Extreme. They say the best two days in a boat owners life are they day the buy one and the day the sell it. So true!!! :grin:

BOAT:

"A whole in the water you just keep throwing money into"

Just funning. I hope you still have time to BBQ with that thing around.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hubby is already mad at me because I wont let him buy any new toys. We have a wakeboard that got left at the cabin and something happened to it to scratch up the bottom. He wanted to get a new board because of it. We just bought a new knee board and big tube. I told him to get some sand paper, buff out the scratches, and reseal it to prove it was now useless before we spend $150 on a new one.

Ive got a 1969 boat with a newer Yamaha motor..To give you an idea of what it looks like, my Sis in law named it the SS EYESORE. Its not fast or pretty, but its reliable. We do a lot of fishing and just hanging out on it. We love to grab subs or a pizza and just hang out on it in the eve..Oh yea..and a few cocktails are usually in order !

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

I just put my boat in the water this morning. Spent a couple bucks getting it ready for the season
New outdrive $4000
New Canvas $2400
Full tank gas $330

I drove it for 10 minutes this morning.......

i wouldnt even want to think about marina prices for fuel, even when I kept mine in a slip I pulled it out to fill it up. 40 gallons in the boat and 40 gallons in the suburban...one good trip would be the family vacation, but I still miss my boat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom