Fried Mushrooms - ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
Anyone had any luck making fried mushrooms? We have tried them a few times over the years, but they never come out like they do at the restaurants. More like batter blobs.

Any hints? I've heard to coat them lightly with flour before putting them in the batter, but I haven't gotten a chance to try that yet.

We've also never figured out broccoli cheese balls, but I figure if I can get the mushrooms down, the broccoli would be similar. Fried mushroom, broccoli cheese balls and fried pickles sound really good to me now.

allisonandrews said:
Anyone had any luck making fried mushrooms? We have tried them a few times over the years, but they never come out like they do at the restaurants. More like batter blobs.

Any hints? I've heard to coat them lightly with flour before putting them in the batter, but I haven't gotten a chance to try that yet.

We've also never figured out broccoli cheese balls, but I figure if I can get the mushrooms down, the broccoli would be similar. Fried mushroom, broccoli cheese balls and fried pickles sound really good to me now.[/quote]

Your not pregnant, are you?

LOL - I hope not! I got home the other day from work and my husband was sitting on the couch eating pickles and ice cream and I asked him the same question.

No, the pickles, broccoli, and mushroom combo is our favorite mixed veggie appetizer at a diner we go to occasionally. I think they also have fried creamed corn. Unfortunately, it's one one those foods that has to be eaten fresh - they just don't do well as leftovers.

Yeah, I can find dozens of recipes. I think my technique is what is wrong. None of the recipes I have found so far have any input from people who have acutally tried them out.

I just have this feeling that I am doing something wrong. Maybe oil at wrong temp, need to cover in flour first, need to soak in buttermilk first, etc. Lots of different ideas, but I can't find any feedback on them.

wdroller said:
Finney said:
I love fried pickes. Ummmmm

Local diner serves them when you order shrimp & grits.

Never done fried mushrooms but will look them up after work to see what I have on them at home.

You got a "recipe" you can share?
I think I have one here (SC) at home. If not, it's in NC. If it's there (NC) I'll be there this weekend. Either way, I'll find and post it.

allisonandrews said:
Yeah, I can find dozens of recipes. I think my technique is what is wrong. None of the recipes I have found so far have any input from people who have acutally tried them out.

I just have this feeling that I am doing something wrong. Maybe oil at wrong temp, need to cover in flour first, need to soak in buttermilk first, etc. Lots of different ideas, but I can't find any feedback on them.
Have you looked on Cooking for Engineers? I think that's the name. Lots of people give good feedback of the recipes.

It could be the batter. I've only done the frozen one's that are prebattered. Why did you have to bring this up, I love fry shrooms and have been staring at the deep fryer lately............I might have to fire that bad boy up.....The last time I did that we did just about everything known to mankind including twinkess and deep fryed ice cream, and homemade mozzeralla sticks..... =P~ :)

The recipe I have for deep fried shroom calls for
1 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon of dry rub
1 Large Egg
1 Cup Buttermilk

1. Combine Flour with dry rub mixing with a wisk
2. In another bowl combine Buttermilk with the Egg mixing with a wisk
3.Dip the mushrooms in the egg mix and dredge in the flour mixture coating each side well.
4.Fry for about 2 minutes or until golden.

Hope this helps I have to try it.

Nice tips, Mango. I've heard that cold batter works better for several things.

And thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom