Chicken tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I was so impressed with Pappy's technique that I had to try it myself. Bravo Pappy. I applied a little science to it. I ran a probe close to the bone and let um go until they hit 195 deg. That temp was aquired after exacly one hour. Dome temp ran steady at 350 deg for almost The entire time. Juices ran clear and under the skin was still very moist.

Normaly I would not have used a thermometer. I put it in one of the thighs and just watched were it went. I also normaly would not have been concerned with dome temp either. I just wanted to see where the temps landed. A chicken thigh is probably hard to get a true interanl temp reading. I could not remember what the USDA recommends so I winged it.

165ºF is now considered safe by the USDA ~ I would have thought that even though dark meat can take higher internal temperatures, 195º would have been on the dry side myself but hey! Glad it turned out good! Here’s a link to a recent post on another board concerning the USDA's latest report.

One note on this now that I think about it. When I took the lid off and was about to take the chickens off I noticed the probe had come thru the chicken about a 1/4" . I also remember the temp dropping to 172 deg. Soooo with that in mind the chicken was most probably at 172.

Cliff H. said:
One note on this now that I think about it. When I took the lid off and was about to take the chickens off I noticed the probe had come thru the chicken about a 1/4" . I also remember the temp dropping to 172 deg. Soooo with that in mind the chicken was most probably at 172.

As long as you enjoyed the chicken it doesn't matter what the temp was as long as it hit at least 165*.

Nice work Cliff!!!
It looks like you got the crispy "potato chip" skin =D>

I prefer the dark meat well done, comes clean from the bone,
but still moist. Very difficult to dry out a thigh.

Brisket, butts & ribs are safe to eat at 165 also but most folks
don't eat 'em that way.

oompappy said:
Nice work Cliff!!!

don't eat 'em that way.
Ha!! Well that's one I mastered when I 1st started cooking chicken on my 1st kettle back around '80! :grin: :grin: #-o

The Joker said:
oompappy said:
Nice work Cliff!!!

don't eat 'em that way.
Ha!! Well that's one I mastered when I 1st started cooking chicken on my 1st kettle back around '80! :grin: :grin: #-o

Do you still cook them like that? #-o

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="The Joker":hr9yb1j7]
oompappy said:
Nice work Cliff!!!

don't eat 'em that way.

Do you still cook them like that? #-o[/quote:hr9yb1j7]

YES! He's just got a bigger grill now to cook more of them that way! 8-[

LOL!! I bet I can get 60 or 70 thighs on that RK. I have 2 chimneys, 1 Weber and 1 other but I need a couple more. Didn't I hear somewhere that someone was giving theirs away?? 8-[

No, I don't cook them that way anymore. I use to make this pile of charcoal in the middle and soak it with a half can of lighter fluid. :lmao: Let them ash over then spread them out and throw on the chicken pieces, usually hind quarters, and babysit them for an hour while putting out grease fires and drinking beer. Yeah, they were done all right but in my infancy, I was deathly afraid of the pink chicken. I just kept backing off on the time and started cooking more indirectly until I got it right BUTT, I was still dumping that fluid on there... 8-[ Then, I found sites like this one and TVWB and these here boys set me straight!

The Joker said:
I use to make this pile of charcoal in the middle and soak it with a half can of lighter fluid. :lmao: Let them ash over then spread them out and throw on the chicken pieces, usually hind quarters, and babysit them for an hour while putting out grease fires and drinking beer. Yeah, they were done all right but in my infancy, I was deathly afraid of the pink chicken.

Bill, I think you just brought back memories of everyone on this board!! Man grilling was such a big deal and challenge back then! And the marvelous POOF and smell you got when lighting the coals with lighter fluid...........ahhhhhh those were the good ole' days! :-(

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":3kr2feyo] I use to make this pile of charcoal in the middle and soak it with a half can of lighter fluid. :lmao: Let them ash over then spread them out and throw on the chicken pieces, usually hind quarters, and babysit them for an hour while putting out grease fires and drinking beer. Yeah, they were done all right but in my infancy, I was deathly afraid of the pink chicken.

Bill, I think you just brought back memories of everyone on this board!! Man grilling was such a big deal and challenge back then! And the marvelous POOF and smell you got when lighting the coals with lighter fluid...........ahhhhhh those were the good ole' days! :-([/quote:3kr2feyo]

Just had to pretend that it was a different type of BBQ sauce! #-o

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":1ms0v2qf] I use to make this pile of charcoal in the middle and soak it with a half can of lighter fluid. :lmao: Let them ash over then spread them out and throw on the chicken pieces, usually hind quarters, and babysit them for an hour while putting out grease fires and drinking beer. Yeah, they were done all right but in my infancy, I was deathly afraid of the pink chicken.

Bill, I think you just brought back memories of everyone on this board!! Man grilling was such a big deal and challenge back then! And the marvelous POOF and smell you got when lighting the coals with lighter fluid...........ahhhhhh those were the good ole' days! :-([/quote:1ms0v2qf]
POOF! LMAO! Yeah, those were the days but you know, that's what I grew up around as did most and it was expected and normal, not that I liked the smell but, if that smell wasn't there, then something was wrong. #-o

Back
Top Bottom