It's Wed. morning, and I've got 2 in the smoker!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Got up at 5:45 this morning after playing poker til 2am. My coffee is ready and I just put 2 briskets on the smoker (6:45am). Im using my new Redi Chek ET 73 and I have to say...I like it! And come to find out, the smoker thermometer I was using before is way off. Right now Im registering 222F with the ET73, my old therm says 150F. So that last brisket was cooking a lot hotter.

Its 745am now and I've noticed that my meat temp. has jumped from 34F to 85F in the first hour, is this normal?

Pictures coming soon, they will be posted here: http://www.easttexaspoker.net/bbq.

Yeah is that temp for the meat is normal, it will eventually plateau for a time, and then slowly start to go up.

Captain Morgan said:
hey I played poker last night too, but only till 10:30. I also got up at 5 am. wierd.

How did you do? I dropped 110 in a 2/5 nl game. It was an end to a 6 week winning streak. I guess I had my briskets on my mind, thats why I couldnt play right. LOL

Love2,

Here is a chart of a brisket I did the other week. It will give you an idea how long the brisket will stay at certain temperatures. It shows the times and temperature of the meat and the smoker. My smoker temperature was all over the place because I was trying to use all wood in my small offset. The average temperature was about 226*.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Bris ... 3Chart.JPG

Love2<º>< said:
Got up at 5:45 this morning after playing poker til 2am. My coffee is ready and I just put 2 briskets on the smoker (6:45am). Im using my new Redi Chek ET 73 and I have to say...I like it! And come to find out, the smoker thermometer I was using before is way off. Right now Im registering 222F with the ET73, my old therm says 150F. So that last brisket was cooking a lot hotter.

Its 745am now and I've noticed that my meat temp. has jumped from 34F to 85F in the first hour, is this normal?

Pictures coming soon, they will be posted here: http://www.easttexaspoker.net/bbq.

Glad to hear you got your thermometers problems solved! Life should be much better for you now! Meat temps usually rise pretty quick until they get over 100-120*, then they slow down and once they hit the plateau of around 160* they will stall, but that's when the "magic" starts to happen!

Love2<º>< said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3buvym2n]hey I played poker last night too, but only till 10:30. I also got up at 5 am. wierd.

How did you do? I dropped 110 in a 2/5 nl game. It was an end to a 6 week winning streak. I guess I had my briskets on my mind, thats why I couldnt play right. LOL[/quote:3buvym2n]

Up till the last hand I was up 10 bucks and happy with that. Last hand cost me 20! ******!!

5 hours, 15 minutes and its smells goooooood!!!!

Im on my second bag of royal oak. I didnt see much of a decrease in fuel consumption from last week.

Love2<º>< said:
5 hours, 15 minutes and its smells goooooood!!!!

Im on my second bag of royal oak. I didnt see much of a decrease in fuel consumption from last week.

Second bag for this cook? Or two bags for two cooks (one bag per cook)?

I had a bad thermometer last week so I was smoking at a much higher temp. last week than I am now. The vent on the firebox is closed a lot more this week then it was last week. 3/4- 7/8 closed now, last week it was only about 1/2 or less closed. I figured this would slow the burn of the woodcharcoal.

Try a smaller but higher pile of charcoal. In one of your pics it looked like the charcoal was spread out. Which IMO will make it burn hotter and faster, if it's piled up it will burn slower and last longer. What position are you vents in?

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Love2<º><":3he4eg5j]Second bag for this cook Larry.

I forgot, what kind of cooker do you have? Charbroil offset right?
Charcoal eating. 8-[[/quote:3he4eg5j] :lmao: That is alot of charcoal consumption for 5 hours of cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom