chicken on the smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
As Im typing this I have a brisket smoking in the smoker. I have a whole chicken that I wanted to smoke also. I want the chicken and brisket to be ready about the same time. From what I read on the forums, you want the temp at 300F. The smoker is about 210-220 for my brisket.

My question:

Can I smoke the chicken at 210-220F and just leave it on longer? If so how long for an average, medium sized chicken, using a beer butt chicken stand. (no beer though).

Thanks in advance.

Nick, what size brisket are you cooking?
A medium sized chicken should take about 3 hrs., or till the internal temp is 180. You can cook it at that temp. as far as them being done about the same time I would say it depends on the size of the brisket. Do you plan on foiling it?

Puff said:
Nick, what size brisket are you cooking?
A medium sized chicken should take about 3 hrs., or till the internal temp is 180. You can cook it at that temp. as far as them being done about the same time I would say it depends on the size of the brisket. Do you plan on foiling it?

9 lb. brisket. I plan on foiling it.

Also.. remember.. brisket will hold for hours wrapped in foil and wrapped in towels in a warm cooler whilst your chicken gets done... some will say it is better after it sits in a cooler wrapped for a while.

G

The chickens skin will be better if you cook it at a higher temp. I'd finish the brisket first, wrap it and put it in a cooler than do the chicken at a higher temp.

I would put the chicken on during about the last 1/4 of the brisket cook. Then after taking the brisket off I would add some sticks to the fire to bring up the temps to finish the chicken. With it resting comfortably in a cooler you can have both done at the same time. I have done this for ribs and Pulled Pork. 8-[

In my opinion you do need to wrap the brisket when it is done and let it rest at least an hour. After the chicken is done also let it rest at least 15 minutes or so before you cut into it. You want the juices to run back into the meat not the plate.

diverdave said:
I've done a couple of chickens in the smoker. I still have not mastered how to get the skin done. It turns out like rubber. I have tried higher temp to no avail. I generally rub with olive oil and then season with rubs. Could the oil be keeping the skin from cooking. I did some wings yesterday and the same thing happened. Tried to finish on gas grill and some under the broiler. It helped some but skin still was not right. Now I have pulled chicken. I'm going to try broiling first next time and then smoke. More evil experimenting to come. :spell:

Make sure you pat your skin and the inside of the bird down with paper towels and get it as dry as you can before putting it on the smoker. Kept the temps around 325-350. The olive oil should help crisp the skin as well as give it a good color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom