One other use for my fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
BEER! :D

Here is my lil brewery. Uses a fish fryer and a turkey fryer. It is a gravity system where water is boiled in the top S/S 6 gallon pot and the grains are in the middle. The water drains throgh a spigot into the next container. Mixes with the grains and strained into the bottom pot. It is then boiled with the hops. I am brewing today so I thought I would show you what is going on.

I love home brew!! But I hate people that have pools in their backyards! :antismile:

It is the law here in Florida. Ya have to have one.
I am making a Pale Ale today. 8lbs of crushed malt. With a handful of roasted malt for color.

Add 3 gallons of 155* water for 1/2 hour. Looks like oatmeal :!:

Home Brew and BBQ. Man life must be good in the sunshine state. That looks good hornet. I got a home brew kit as a gift and never checked it out. Now I might have to........... :idea:

"Beer is proof that the good Lord loves us...and He wants us all to be happy!" :D Ben Franklin

Top pot has boiling water draining into the grains, which is being strained into a pot and collected as a type of sugar water called "wort".

Now we boil the wort for about an hour. bubble bubble bubble!

Here is the hops pellets that we add during the boil. next to it is a package of American Yeast we will add after is is cooled.

When we are done this is the beer you can have when yall get off yer cans and visit the Hornet!

Cheers!

Great looking brew! I tried to make home brew from scratch many years ago, But when I bottled it up and capped them they dun blowed up a week later. What a mess that made. Mom and Dad were not happy at all. I then went to shine and corn liquor after that. Old Alvin on the farm made some great cider and apple jack, But he's gone now. Ever make any cherry bounce?

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Great looking brew! I tried to make home brew from scratch many years ago, But when I bottled it up and capped them they dun blowed up a week later. What a mess that made. Mom and Dad were not happy at all. I then went to shine and corn liquor after that. Old Alvin on the farm made some great cider and apple jack, But he's gone now. Ever make any cherry bounce?

If I'm correct the caps blew off cause of too much sugar? I went to a brew pub and made beer last year. It was a fantastic experience but very expesive. I think in the end it cost us over $200 to make 5 cases of beer. I know it can be made far cheaper at home!!

I think that caps blew because it wasn’t done fermenting. I remember reading that it has something to do with the specific gravity of the brew.

My costs are about $12 a case. The caps burst off for a couple reasons too much sugar when bottling and fermentaion had not finished. I have only had 2 or 3 burst bottles in over 10 years of doing this. One was from a chipped glass bottle. Kegging is another option too for storage of beer. i use bottles exclusivly though.
I want to make a hard cider one day. I have only had commercial brands before, but I like them alot. Nice change-o-pace.
My next beer will be a Ginger Ale. Not a soft drink but a real Ale. Very zesty. A great summertime beer if you like ginger. I make it every summer. :!:

Sure Pigs!
Here is the recipe for the beer I took the pics of.
8lbs crushed Pale Malt
1/2lb Crystal Malt
1 1/2 oz Chinook pellet hops (very bitter) :!:
1 pkg Wyeast American Ale Yeast
---------------------------------------------------
My pots all have a system called an easy masher. It is a faucet attached to the bottom of the pot and copper tubing going into the center for draining. I put a window screen filter on the end to strain out the grains.

Put the crushed grains into the pot with 3 gals of warm water and raise the temp to 155* and cover and hold the temp for 30 mins. This turns the starch in the grain to sugar. Then raise the temp to 175* and hold for 10mins. This stops the starch to sugar conversion.
I boil 5 gallons of water on the top pot and let it trickle into the grain pot. I put a bowl ontop of the grains and try to keep the bed of grains covered with 2" of water. Then open up the spigot on the middle pot slowly and collect a couple cups of the hot liquid. until it runs clear. Then let it slowly drain into the bottom pot. Trying to mnot disturb the bed of grains.

After I colletced 6 gallons I turn it off. Dump the pot with the grains out (compost or make beer bread) :!:
Take the pot with the hot liquid and boil it. for 1 hour, rolling. Add 1/3 of the hops at the start and 1/3 half way through and the last at the end of the boil. Cool the liquid quickly. Either by filling a sink of ice or a chiller. I made mine out of copper tubing coiled and hooked up to my faucet. Cool it to about 80* and add the yeat. I cover my pot with the lid and use it as a fermenter. Most brewers shudder when they hear I do this. I let it sit until the yeast has finished working it's magic. Turning the sugar to alcohol ! Then I bottle it.
My "Go To" beer like an India Pale Ale. Bitter from the hops but crisp like a Bass Ale.

Ginger Ale
8lbs Pale Malt crushed.
1/2 lb Crystal Malt crushed
4 ozs grated Ginger root fresh.
1oz Northern Brewer hops
3/4 oz Kent Goldings hops
1 pkg American Ale yeast.
------------------------------------
Same procedure as above
add grated ginger at the end of the boil with the last of the hops.
Zesty and refreshing!

Cranberry Ale

8lbs Pale malt
2 1/2 oz Hallertauer hops
4 pkgs Ocean Spray Cranberries (crushed)
1 pkg American Ale yeast
-------------------------------------------------
same as above
add crushed cranberries with in the last 15 mins of the boil.
This beer is a holiday fav around here. It has a pretty Rose color to it. The beer and the foam. A lil tart but not TOO much.

Scotch Ale

9lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Cara Pils Malt
3/4lb Roasted malt
2oz Fuggles hops
2oz Kent Goldings Hops
2 pkg Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast.
1 tsp Irish Moss
--------------------------------------------
same as above but boil 1 1/2 hours
add Irish Moss with 30 mins left in the boil.
After yeast starts working cool pot in fridge to about 50* for about a month. Til fermentation stops
After bottling let the bottles sit for about 4 months.
This is a GREAT BIG beer. worth the wait. Good for the winter.

I have more, but these are the ones I always make cuz I like them. PM if you want any more.
Cheers! :D

Groovy, Thanks for posting them, I may have to try to make some again. Now if I can only find my bottle capper. :!:
Pigs there is a home brew store on Military near Sheridan.......

Hey Pigs, any chance of gettin' a sample of that shine?
I had a contact down South, haven't been able to get it for a while 8-[

Back
Top Bottom