Wood Stove/Firebox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonM1

Assistant Cook
Hello All,

First off What a great place to find any and all information on BBQ'ing. There is now a long list of things I want to try.

My question today is has anyone used a cast iron wood stove as a fire box for there smoker? If so would they have any pics on how they attached it to the cooking chamber?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Been there done that...it would've been perfect except the stove was to small for the chamber...
I made a steel "hood" that sat on a hole I cut on the top of the stove and vented into the smoker..I welded it to the smoker and drilled and tapped the stove and screwed it down using wood stove rope gasket between..Worked good but took a lot to keep the temp steady (poor design on my part all around)...

Here are some pictures of a smoker I made for sausage. The firepit is in the ground ten feet away. I have thought about raising the box higher on cinder blocks and ducting my woodstove to it. I haven't done that though. I saw a picture years ago how someone used a refrigerator and duct a woodstove into the bottom of the refrigerator to make a smoker. The refrigerator was sitting on cinder block.

http://usera.imagecave.com/cleglue/Sausage/

PS
I try to keep the box smoker below 165 when finishing my sausage. I believe I could get it much higher if I needed to.

Here is a URL. I couldn't find a picture yet.
http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/smokehouse.htm

Another edit. Here is a picture of a smoker with a woodstove.
http://members.tripod.com/~DanGill/Smoker.htm

Yep, love to use anything I can find. This one was sitting in my garage for years. Finally found a good use for it.

horizontal2.jpg

woodstove

I used a woodstove on the one I just built.
I modified it a bit... removed about 18"'s or so
from the height and relocated the outlet lower
in the back of stove.
img_58019_0_fe6df1192dc4872fe5285dbb54743db0.jpg

img_58019_1_79755be6549596f84cc8ed0d157a5c48.jpg

img_58019_2_76bd551c4c14183c34659c6208b8b98a.jpg

welding

Welding is much much easier then you could imagine.

The hard part about welding............ is coming up with the $$$$$ to get the equiptment.

What made this job a breeze........ I just bought a new plasma cutter. OMG.... makes a cutting torch seam like stone-age tool. One of the best investments for tools I think I have ever made.

Hey Joker. I have been learning how to weld, well trying to learn something about it and it isnt hard. The hard part is doing a good looking weld. I am sort of a handyman kind of guy but welding isnt something I ever got into. But like everything else, its a bunch of work.

DaleP said:
Hey Joker. I have been learning how to weld, well trying to learn something about it and it isnt hard. The hard part is doing a good looking weld. I am sort of a handyman kind of guy but welding isnt something I ever got into. But like everything else, its a bunch of work.
That's what I've been reading but like Smokey Joe said, the initial investment is a killer. #-o

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="The Joker":2fx1f9d4]Man, I wish I could weld... :)

All you need is a good grinder. The welds become better looking the more you grind. :!:[/quote:2fx1f9d4]
LOL !!

The Joker said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2ov1nfb0][quote="The Joker":2ov1nfb0]Man, I wish I could weld... :)

All you need is a good grinder. The welds become better looking the more you grind. :!:[/quote:2ov1nfb0]
LOL !![/quote:2ov1nfb0]

LOL is right...... not to knock the effort people put into grinding on some beautiful custom jobs... but usually if you need to grind a weld just to make it look good.......then it's probably not a good weld. A good weld is a safe weld, all be it holding the lid hinge on the smoker that everyone stares at ......or the unseen welds under the trailer that hold the axle mounting perches in place.

That was in the list of some of the first things I was taught about welding.........If you NEED to grind your welds, you're not welding properly and they are probably unsafe welds.

Welding is extremely easy. People put undo stress on the thought that it's going to be this major undertaking of learning. If you have any patience at all you can weld, if you have any pride in what you do.......you can weld good. Granted there are a few things you should know if you are doing anything structural or even anything with thicker steels...... but it's almost common sense once you know what they are.....all and any information is readily available at any local library.

I'd encourage and help anyone to learn to weld..... my 7 year old son can already put as good a bead down as my 18 year old daughter. He's still a little shaky with the plasma cutter..... but he'll get it . But my 10 year old girl has absolutely no interest , I don't force them.... if they ask I let em'.

I knew what Bill meant. :!:

I found a free welding course online a while back and read through it. They were talking about how easy it really is once you get the hang of it. Here's a resource list I saved but I can't find that free one..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom