4-1-1 Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume with those times you're talking about spares. If you're doing bb's that long, yep, you'll get mush. Use a little less apple juice in the foil and maybe just go 1.5 hours in foil. The ribs should be fairly tender
at that point, and you've still got cook time left.

Next rib cook I'm going to do I am going to stick the ribs in the rack and let them ride and not use any foil!!

wdroller said:
I was unhappy with the texture of the last ribs I did. They were fall-off-the-bone mushy. I (1) did not trim them, as I usually do, (2) cooked them 3-2-1 at 225*, (3) used a sauce the last hour. I used a dry rub, but I did not use mustard as I do with my pork butts.

For the ribs I will cook tomorrow, I plan to trim them to KC style, cook 4-1-1 at 225*, and use a sauce the last hour. I also plan to throw in a little apple juice when I foil them. I will use the same dry rub, but I have not decided if I am going to use mustard, as I do with my pork butts.

I hope you all will feel free to make suggestions for changes to my plans.

I'll be posting this on a couple of forums.

Use mustard if you want more bark.

As for the AJ, I just don't like adding any fruit juices to my ribs. If you want firm but tender ribs foil them the way they are or add some brown or turb sugar. They'll be enough moisture in the ribs already without adding additional. Hope this helps.

throw some sliced onions on top of them ribs while foiled and take away the apple juice :(

The aj in the foil will make them fall off the bone, borderline mushy. If your going to foil, skip the aj. The steam from them alone in the foil will be more than enough moisture.

You could try throwing them in a tin for an hour, you might like it

deputynrc said:
I quit foiling ribs because I ended up with similar results once. I Smok'em @ 220-230 untill I see the meat pulling away (back) from the ends. Brush with a little homemade BBQ sauce and some PINE/HAB TPJ. Pull off when you can pull the meat away from the bone (about 5-5.5hrs)

For my ribs the night before I coat them with French`s Mustard and rub let em sit in the fridge or cooler overnight, get up the next morning set up my 55 gallon drum smoker , I keep the temp same as above. Mine usually stay in 6 hrs. and I spray them with apple juice lightly every 2 hrs. When the meat pulls away from the bones I apply BBQ SAUCE leave on the grill for 20 to 30 mins and serve. I never have foiled in my life and mine come out tender and juicy every time. Of course I use loin back ribs more meat that way.

wdroller said:
OK. I didn't use foil, as many on another forum suggested, and I have to tell you that I ended up with exactly the texture and moistness I was after. Whoever thought that 3-2-1 or 4-1-1 stuff up? Reynolds Wrap people, I bet.

Can't thank you enough for the guidance. I'm a regular first class hero around here. Next time I'm going to try either mustard or Worcestershire sauce before the rub as some here have suggested. This is fun!

Gonna apply for property RE zoning tomorrow morning. I need me a H-O-G pen!!
You have to use the mustard bro :!:
Big difference :!:

wdroller said:
OK. I didn't use foil, as many on another forum suggested, and I have to tell you that I ended up with exactly the texture and moistness I was after. Whoever thought that 3-2-1 or 4-1-1 stuff up? Reynolds Wrap people, I bet.

Can't thank you enough for the guidance. I'm a regular first class hero around here. Next time I'm going to try either mustard or Worcestershire sauce before the rub as some here have suggested. This is fun!

Gonna apply for property RE zoning tomorrow morning. I need me a H-O-G pen!!

Great job Roller!

You can get moist and tender ribs without foil, the main reason in using the foil is to "consistently" produce the same product with the same cook time, every single time.

Back
Top Bottom