Saturday in the Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Well I've been going at it since 6:00 this morning. Took the salmon out of the brine, rinsed and got it ready for the smoker. Once that was on, I rinsed and starting soaking the butts that were in the backboard bacon cure for the last 11 days. Just as the salmon was finished in the smoke, the butts went on. Then I decided to go to the doctor to get my pink eye fixed. Got home and had a quick lunch with some vacumned brisket that I had in the freezer. Bacon was up to 135* so it was time to make the fatties. Bacon came off the smoker, fatties went on and now I can sit and have a rest. The salmon was smoked with alder chunks, the bacon with pecan and hickory and the fatties have pecan.

I know Joker told me yesterday not to post any pictures of this, but I can't help myself! Sorry Bill I had too! (Bill don't look at them)

http://img527.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 02c81.smil

oh man the bacon looks luscious...guess I'll be trying that soon.

and I'm closely watching the salmon...never done it on the smoker...done
the cedar plank thing on the grill and liked it, but it's been a while.
I wanna see your results and also think about the cold smoking thing, which I guess gives you more of the smoked salmon stuff you see in the stores?

Nick everything looks great. Well put together slideshow also. Gotta recipe for the Buckboard Bacon? Want to share? How does the cheese hold up in the fatty? I was going to play around with adding cheese to homemade sausage links but haven’t gotten around to it. I was worried that it would all leak out during the smoking process.

I couldn't help myself ~ Had to look!! Just added 5 pounds!! :)

Witt, it was a kit for the buckboard bacon from hi mountain seasonings. Look here http://shop.himtnjerky.com/home.php

Cappy, this is the recipe I screwed up the brine on from Bruce. I still use my brine with Bruces method. Never failed me yet. You can see in the pictures that it was crumbling on me! Nice and moist with a great flavor. Look here http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/b ... t3938.html

Bill, I hear you! Want to guess how much weight I'm gonna gain after I east 12 pounds of bacon? No, really I cut it into chunks and foodsaved most of it. Gonna have some for breakfast tomorrow!

Nick is that buckboard bacon? I've done that before...did you use boneless? I noticed the string and thought you got pork belly.

Daggone Nick, you've turned into a smoking fool!!! If I lived closer I'd bring over a case of beer and help you eat all that!

Nick a KIT? I think I have another recipe for buckboard somewhere………………. I haven’t tried it yet. If I find it should I post it? Let me know how yours came out.

Captain Morgan said:
Nick is that buckboard bacon? I've done that before...did you use boneless? I noticed the string and thought you got pork belly.

Yeah Cappy. Boneless butt from Costco. Tied it up tight before it went on the smoker. After it came off, I cut the string and man that thing held together like I cemented it! I'll let you all know how it was tomorrow.

wittdog said:
Nick a KIT? I think I have another recipe for buckboard somewhere………………. I haven’t tried it yet. If I find it should I post it? Let me know how yours came out.

Post it! Damn shipping on that thing was as much as the product!

I posted the recipe in the Pork section. Should save you some $$ I hate to pay shipping. A work of warning I have yet to try this recipe, typically I would only post a recipe that I have tried and know how it tastes. Try it at your own risk and then let me know how it comes out.

I've still got some Hi Mountain cure in the cabinet. Can I use the same cure to made Canadian Bacon, or is that a different recipe?

Why are you guys buying cures? They are so simple to make, I'll post a cure for Canadian Bacon. I need to warn you guys; I tend to use an electric smoker for my Bacon and Sausage because my temps are much lower than what you would BBQ at, and if you want to know why I use an Electric see my upcoming post on Save my Bacon.

You have been busy Nick. Great looking grub! =D>
The Salmon looks awesome. I buy the Atlantic Salmon fillets in a bag at BJ'sWholesale store. Haven't tried the whole fish yet.

Here is one of the finished fatties. Man oh man, unbelieveable taste. I waited until it cooled off a bit so the cheese wouldn't run out. You guys have to try this!

Nick Prochilo said:
Here is one of the finished fatties. Man oh man, unbelieveable taste. I waited until it cooled off a bit so the cheese wouldn't run out. You guys have to try this!

Yep :) :) I just blew my load! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous Nick! You've out done yourself this time Nick!! =D> =D> =D>

Back
Top Bottom