Rule of Thumb for meat cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Im not an expert (not yet anyways), but I usually figure aprox one to one and a half hours per pound on brisket, and and hour and a half per pound on butts..I do my sausages about 3 hours turning halfway through and my abts anywhere from 2 to 3 hours depending on how many I have on...

just my 2 cents..

I agree 100 percent on the temp thing, but its also nice to have a rough idea how long it might take to achieve those temps...

john pen said:
I agree 100 percent on the temp thing, but its also nice to have a rough idea how long it might take to achieve those temps...

Obviously, if you have someone coming over, you need to know roughly when the food will be ready. I also shoot for a few hours early, then do the wrap and in the cooler deal. This lets you hold safe temps for a while, but still serve hot food on time.

I've never had a butt go less than 2 hours per pound. Brisket 1 - 1 1/2 per pound. Ribs (spares) 6 hours. Never timed chicken. I always give myself 3 extra hours at the end. It's always easy to hold at safe temps. For super bowl, I held 5 butts for 5 1/2 hours and couldn't handle them when they came out of the cooler!

Raine
I know like me you have been cooking for a day or two and we have a feel for times but I'm surprised by brisket that are done early (real early) or late by a few hours. Trying to use time as a new cook is just a bad idea. If you think it's going to take 12 hours be sure and give yourself 16.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom