Scored some venison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Got a bunch of venison from a buddy. Couple of roasts, some steaks,and chops =P~ . I've cooked venison before, crock pot,stews, jerky, etc. I know venison is really dry, and marinating is important, but i've never smoked any. Any body got any :idea:s

deputynrc said:
Nah, Venison sucks, Just send it to me and I'll get rid of it for ya :winkie:
I think it would thaw out and get rotten before it got to cali, :!: Nice try though :winkie: . Alright dep give me your :idea: s. 8-[ You must love this stuff as much as i do =P~

Puff said:
Got a bunch of venison from a buddy. Couple of roasts, some steaks,and chops =P~ . I've cooked venison before, crock pot,stews, jerky, etc. I know venison is really dry, and marinating is important, but i've never smoked any. Any body got any :idea:s

Puff for the roasts, make small pockets throughout and insert whole cloves of garlic, then liberally coat with EVOO and generously season with coarse black pepper, kosher salt and rosemary. Cook at 250* until the internal temp is in the 150*-155* range, then wrap in foil for an hour or so. The internal temp will rise several more degrees while resting. I will not eat game rare or even medium, that's just me. Some people will and do with no ill effects. Let cool before slicing to retain the juices. I've done both roasts and whole hind quarters this way with great results.

If you wanna pull the meat season with your rub and cook as described above but when it's time to foil, put the roast in an aluminum pan and add some liquid of your choice (I've used beer mixed with worchestershire sauce with good results) and cover with foil and continue to cook until the roast hits 190* or until (fork tender). My buddy places raw strips of bacon ontop of the roast as he's foiling with good results as well.

Steaks and chops, just marinade in Zesty Italian dressing with some added rosemary for several hours, season with S&P and grill directly.

deputynrc said:
Larry,

I have a friend that actually tested some venison & elk and it had something like 83-88% (I don't remember the actual %) less bacteria than beef. I eat both on the Med-Rare side but safety should be a concern at all times when cooking. I do feel alot safer knowing I butcher my own wild game meat. Venison gets real dry after if it is over cooked unless as I stated before, Crock pot, Braising etc. Just IMHO.

I agree, butchering your own takes away alot of the concern over the quality of the meat. I've never really had any dryness issues cooking this way. I think the key is foiling and letting the meat rest and then cool prior to slicing. Either way, it's all good. My buddy cooks his the same way you stated, with no ill effects. Just something I'm a little funny about with the parasites and tapeworms.

Back
Top Bottom