Brisket Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I was just informed that there is going to be an Arizona State BBQ Championship in September and it will be a qualifier for the Royal and the Jack. So far I have done two contests, one with just ribs and another with ribs and chicken. This one is a four meat contest. I need help with my brisket! I have never been able to make a brisket that makes me stand back and say wow. So what tips, recipes or things I need to try can you guys tell me? Please help!

ddog27 said:
I was just informed that there is going to be an Arizona State BBQ Championship in September and it will be a qualifier for the Royal and the Jack. So far I have done two contests, one with just ribs and another with ribs and chicken. This one is a four meat contest. I need help with my brisket! I have never been able to make a brisket that makes me stand back and say wow. So what tips, recipes or things I need to try can you guys tell me? Please help!

Practice, practice, practice!!! Buy a brisket that has a good fat cap and it not overly trimmed. It's hard to find flats that are not overly trimmed so I normally opt to purchase a packer and separate them myself. I cook my briskets fat side up, others do them fat side down. I've tried them both ways and prefer fat up. I keep my temps in the 240-260 range and foil when the internal temp reads between 160*-165* (if you prefer you can add liquid at this point, I don't). Continue to cook until the internal temp reaches 190*, place wrapped in towels and in a cooler for at least an hour, preferably 2. Unwrap from foil and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Hope this helps.

The few briskets that I have done, I've done just like Larry said. If you have time to practice, keep trying them for the next couple of weeks. I add a little beef broth when I foil them. Try using KC Masterpiece BBQ Seasoning as a rub and tweak it from there. You might also want to try Wolfe Rub. I think it might taste dandy on a brisket.

Nick Prochilo said:
The few briskets that I have done, I've done just like Larry said. If you have time to practice, keep trying them for the next couple of weeks. I add a little beef broth when I foil them. Try using KC Masterpiece BBQ Seasoning as a rub and tweak it from there. You might also want to try Wolfe Rub. I think it might taste dandy on a brisket.

I use Wolfe Rub on briskets and it is indeed dandy!!! It'll give you a very nice sweet spicy bark on the meat.

Back
Top Bottom