Goat Thigh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Treat it the same as you would wild hog. It is very lean so I would pull it at 155 and wrap it in foil, set in a cooler for a bit. Cabrito is big here in S. Texas. I would rather grill it my self, slow and indirect for 4 hrs or so. Try it.

Here's a Food Network recipe.

4 guijillo chiles
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cloves
10 allspice berries
1/3 cup Mexican oregano
12 sprigs fresh thyme
6 garlic cloves
1 Spanish onion, roughly chopped
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 (12-pound) goat, quartered or 1 (6 to 8-pound) lamb shoulder
Salt and pepper
1 (2-pound) package dried avocado leaves

Toast chiles, cover with boiling water in a deep bowl, and set aside for 20 minutes. Grind cumin, cloves, allspice, and oregano in coffee grinder. Drain soaked chiles, puree in blender the chiles, ground spices, thyme, garlic, onion, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water. Process until smooth Push mixture through a sieve, season goat with salt and pepper. Rub paste all over the meat. Arrange in a bowl and allow to marinate for 4 hours, refrigerated.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a deep roaster pan scatter half of the avocado leaves on the bottom, place meat on top of the avocado leaves and scatter the remaining leaves over the meat. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Cook the goat 6 to 7 hours until meat is falling off the bone. If using lamb shoulder cook for 4 hours.

***Fresh avocado leaves are toxic, they must be dried to be used for cooking.

Goat has a mild unique flavor like lamb has it's own unique flavor. I think it is simular to lamb but milder, it has that same type of flavor profile as lamb does. When grilled slow over Mesquite it's very tasty. I'm not sure I want to get you guys started but..... You also have to get em young, kid goats are said to be the best. Tender and suculent....now behave!

zilla said:
Goat has a mild unique flavor like lamb has it's own unique flavor. I think it is simular to lamb but milder, it has that same type of flavor profile as lamb does. When grilled slow over Mesquite it's very tasty. I'm not sure I want to get you guys started but..... You also have to get em young, kid goats are said to be the best. Tender and suculent....now behave!

Zilla, everytime I read one of your posts now I hear the "Monkey" talking to me!!! :grin: That was too funny!

My great grandmother used to make a type of hash from goat. It didn't smell the best when cooking but I enjoyed it. Gosh, the good ole days, I was just a kid the last time she made it for me!

At Christmas, she would complain about people buying her presents except for one she got! My grandparents (her daughter and son in law) went out and bought a goat and had it butchered for her. She carried on about how proud she was of that one for months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom